Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 2:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voltaire on Islam
RE: Voltaire on Islam
Gandhi quotes on black people from XIXth and XXth century:

Quote:In an open letter to the Natal Parliament in 1893, Gandhi wrote:

“I venture to point out that both the English and the Indians spring from a common stock, called the Indo-Aryan. … A general belief seems to prevail in the Colony that the Indians are little better, if at all, than savages or the Natives of Africa. Even the children are taught to believe in that manner, with the result that the Indian is being dragged down to the position of a raw Kaffir.”

Quote:At a speech in Mumbai in 1896, Gandhi said that the Europeans in Natal wished “to degrade us to the level of the raw kaffir whose occupation is hunting, and whose sole ambition is to collect a certain number of cattle to buy a wife with, and then, pass his life in indolence and nakedness.”

Quote:Protesting the decision of Johannesburg municipal authorities to allow Africans to live alongside Indians, Gandhi wrote in 1904 that the council “must withdraw the Kaffirs from the Location. About this mixing of the Kaffirs with the Indians, I must confess I feel most strongly. I think it is very unfair to the Indian population and it is an undue tax on even the proverbial patience of my countrymen.”

Quote:In response to the White League’s agitation against Indian immigration and the proposed importation of Chinese labour, Gandhi wrote in 1903: “We believe also that the white race in South Africa should be the predominating race.”

Quote:Gandhi wrote in 1908 about his prison experience: “We were marched off to a prison intended for Kaffirs. There, our garments were stamped with the letter “N”, which meant that we were being classed with the Natives. We were all prepared for hardships, but not quite for this experience. We could understand not being classed with the whites, but to be placed on the same level with the Natives seemed too much to put up with.”

Quote:In 1939, Gandhi justified his counsel to the Indian community in South Africa against forming a non-European front: “I have no doubt about the soundness of my advice. However much one may sympathise with the Bantus, Indians cannot make common cause with them.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worl...ck-people/

Gandhi was a famous person - that must mean racism is fine...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Messages In This Thread
Voltaire on Islam - by mralstoner - June 16, 2016 at 2:16 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by Homeless Nutter - June 16, 2016 at 3:36 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by mralstoner - June 16, 2016 at 3:50 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by Homeless Nutter - June 16, 2016 at 3:56 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by mralstoner - June 16, 2016 at 4:05 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by Homeless Nutter - June 16, 2016 at 4:08 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by The Grand Nudger - June 16, 2016 at 9:15 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by Homeless Nutter - June 16, 2016 at 10:02 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by The Grand Nudger - June 16, 2016 at 10:20 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by Homeless Nutter - June 16, 2016 at 11:12 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by The Grand Nudger - June 16, 2016 at 11:16 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by Homeless Nutter - June 16, 2016 at 11:30 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by The Grand Nudger - June 16, 2016 at 11:33 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by WinterHold - June 18, 2016 at 2:57 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by The Grand Nudger - June 18, 2016 at 9:17 am
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by Thumpalumpacus - June 18, 2016 at 12:53 pm
RE: Voltaire on Islam - by Minimalist - June 18, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7978 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5561 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Anti-Islam Dutch politician converts to Islam Muslim Scholar 58 33964 May 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Violet