Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 11:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bart Ehrman destroys Christianity in under 12 minutes.
RE: Bart Ehrman destroys Christianity in under 12 minutes.
(June 30, 2016 at 8:09 pm)Aractus Wrote: I would actually strongly disagree with you that those examples show that scribes were, generally speaking, quite willing to make alterations.

No one in the modern era would tolerate it, at least without the "f-word" ("fraud") being used.  I grant you that the alterations from the 2nd century on became less and less, but they were still there.  Take John, Chapter 21; everyone agrees that it was a later addition.  Point is that John itself, as a Gospel, could have gone through a number of revisions until the "final" version settled down near the end of the 1st century or early into the 2nd.  Even then it was not an issue in the early Church for someone to come along and append an entire extra chapter to it.  Given this layering upon layering of the Gospels, it is difficult to say how, exactly, the very first manuscripts appeared.  And, then, these very early manuscripts were written at least a generation (40 years) after the death of Jesus, and both you and I agree that there was embellishment upon embellishment, especially, with the Resurrection accounts.  I would agree with you that the Gospels contain some of the words of the historical Jesus, but even scholars themselves cannot agree on which ones Jesus actually spoke!

And, so, there is substantial doubt about all of it.  We know that Jesus existed, that he was an historical figure during the early 1st century Palestine, but even then, the Romans did not bother to even mention his existence, let alone anyone else.  As such, it is reasonable to conclude that his influence on the cultural of his day was "unremarkable".  To me, this means that the Romans viewed him as yet another apocalyptic loon whom had a doomsday prophecy, and after his disturbance in the temple in Jerusalem (at the end of his ministry and not at the beginning, as John puts it), they arrested him, and some Roman official (probably, not even Pilate) sentenced him to die.  The rest, as they say, is "history".

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bart Ehrman destroys Christianity in under 12 minutes. - by Jehanne - June 30, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bart Ehrman is an hero LinuxGal 44 2756 November 4, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1401 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What do the conservative Christians here think of Professor Bart Ehrman? Jehanne 69 6111 March 8, 2019 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1781 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7432 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
  How Religion Destroys Families. Usalabs 41 7872 March 20, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9797 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Flood destroys Tony Perkins' house drfuzzy 14 2110 August 18, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: brewer
  Bart Ehrman Has A New Book Coming Out Minimalist 20 3719 March 23, 2016 at 11:52 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6870 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus