Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics?
RE: Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics?
(June 23, 2017 at 3:27 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(June 23, 2017 at 2:31 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Neat little description of the relationship between atheism and agnosticism.

An agnostic atheist is how I'd describe myself, though with certain definitions of gods I'd feel confident saying they definitely don't exist (a god that violates the laws of logic, for example).

Is there any well-formed definition of God about which you are agnostic, or only the general idea?

I'd say I'm gnostic on the absence of Abrahamic gods, Krshna, etc. etc.: I'm a gnostic atheist.  But on the general question "Do you believe God exists?" then I find it very hard to answer that: under some definitions, I may think God is necessary, under others, impossible.  It's a kind of quantum superposition, where the answer is determined by how we interact with it, rather than any truth value of its own.

For example, if you say, "God is that which allows for existence rather than non-existence" I'd say it's a pretty unusual definition, but it's necessarily true, and mysterious enough maybe to be worth calling it that.

For what it's worth, any god that is as simplistic as "God is that which allows for existence rather than non-existence" is literally defining god into existence, and I don't even bother with those.  It's not even cogent enough to have a position on - I could define god as the physical laws of the universe if I wanted.

Like I said, I'm agnostic on the existence of "god or gods," but when it comes to specific gods I'd be more gnostic (like the ones you mention).
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? - by FatAndFaithless - June 23, 2017 at 4:01 pm
RE: Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? - by DLJ - November 29, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1186 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  All kind of Agnostics people Eclectic 4 510 August 25, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 566 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists: Your facade cant disguise Renio92 19 2198 September 2, 2020 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4470 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4566 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Your thoughts on John Gray? Foxaèr 12 3174 May 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2201 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 12974 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Your favorite atheists (Fictional or real) NuclearEnergy 48 9375 December 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance