Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ?
What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ?
Is magic real?
Have any one of you experienced something like it?
Your stance on magic and supernatural stuff ?
RE: What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ?
If people are foolish enough to consider technology they don't understand as magic, then yes, they've experience "magic", and failed at "logic".
Hold on a second there Gawdzilla, I've seen keyboard gnomes in action. That certainly qualifies as magic, doesn't it?
I have seen zero cases of 'magic', and don't believe anything that could be called magic exists. I have seen a zillion cases of things that were at one point called magic that were then figured out as a natural phenomena, technology that wasn't understood, or sleight of hand/camera tricks/con-jobs.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 11, 2018 at 8:39 am)tahaadi Wrote: Is magic real?

First tell me what magic is then I can answer this.
(October 11, 2018 at 8:39 am)tahaadi Wrote: Is magic real?
Have any one of you experienced something like it?
Your stance on magic and supernatural stuff ?

Define magic.

Yes, there's a lot of sufficiently-advanced technology out there. The internet is basically magic.

If you mean something that we can see working entirely outside of and separate from the observable, testable, and verifiable laws of the universe, then no. If we can see it working it's observable and if it DOES work it's testable and verifiable, and anyone who published would open up an entirely new field with their name on half of the new discoveries.

It's a fun concept for fantasy novels, where the challenge for the author is to either construct a setting alien from our own universe where magic can exist or invent conditions or conspiracies where magic can exist secretly in our own universe. But unlike gods, which suffer from usually not being falsifiable, the problem with thinking that magic exists in our universe is that it would be all-too-easy to demonstrate.
I had a supernatural experience in my childhood. I was sitting in room alone, and suddenly switch started to go up and down up and down, light was turning on and off.
I ran out of the room.
I still couldn’t understand this fucking experience.
It was 100% real, because my health was awesome and no hallucinations.
I'd have to know what magic or supernatural means. Outside the realm of fantasy, they don’t seem to make much sense.

It sounds like you had an experience you can’t explain. I don’t see how it’s more than that?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 11, 2018 at 8:50 am)tahaadi Wrote: I had a supernatural experience in my childhood. I was sitting in room alone, and suddenly switch started to go up and down up and down, light was turning on and off.
I ran out of the room.
I still couldn’t understand this fucking experience.
It was 100% real, because my health was awesome and no hallucinations.

So there was a cause for it that you are unable to explain.

Doesn't mean to say that it is unexplainable.
It’s not so much that I don’t think magic is real, it’s that I think it’s meaningless. It seems to be an arbitrary line drawn under our current understanding and scientific knowledge, and anything that doesn’t fit nicely inside it is magic/supernatural.

Maybe any particular weird event will one day be explained, maybe it won’t. If we label it supernatural now (whatever that means) but we get an explanation in ten years, is it both supernatural and natural?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 565 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists: Your facade cant disguise Renio92 19 2183 September 2, 2020 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4451 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2196 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Your favorite atheists (Fictional or real) NuclearEnergy 48 9364 December 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 26992 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16426 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Question For Fellow Atheists... Autolite 218 21503 January 28, 2017 at 9:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Trump solidified Christian stance with prolife; why he'd make a horrible president. bussta33 12 2819 April 3, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Who are your favorite current Atheists? abentwookie 172 26915 March 5, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37