Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 2:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can progressives learn anything from Republicans?
RE: Can progressives learn anything from Republicans?
(August 2, 2018 at 8:24 am)alpha male Wrote:
(August 2, 2018 at 7:51 am)The Industrial Atheist Wrote: Let me put it this way, my mom's boyfriend has voted both Democrat and Republican. He thinks Trump's tax plan is great. He was surprised when I told him almost all the cuts go to the wealthy (a verifiable fact) and that all the middle class tax cuts expire, while the ones for the rich don't. Obama's tax plan had more tax cuts for the middle class than Romney's. He made the Bush middle class tax cut's permanent.

Democrats are usually better than Republicans at giving tax cuts where there's the most need and the most benefit. They fail to capitalize on this. When the Republicans say "We'll let everyone keep their money." The Dems should say "We'll let YOU the average Joe's keep YOUR money and we'll do it better!"

Regarding taxes, the Dems - if they ever have power again - should tax the hell out of the 1%, or tell their base to STFU about it. When Obama came in, they should have set marginal rates going up as high as 70% on the obscenely wealthy. High tax rates demotivate people at lower income levels, but at some point (when they can't spend all they make anyway) it's just a game, and those people will continue working regardless of marginal rates.

Same with estate taxes. You need a sizable exclusion so that family businesses don't get wiped out, but at obscene wealth levels, they should have made some hefty rates.

But they didn't, and it's becoming all too apparent that they didn't because they and their friends are the ones who would be affected.

Quote:Dem's need to be better at showing average people that they are better at having their best interests at heart. In a tangential sense you're almost right.

Yep. Instead, they have the interests of illegal immigrants at heart.
I'm definitely with you on the first one.

As for the second:
My stance is that I don't want open borders. But I think those that have been here a certain time and have behaved themselves(while working) should have a path towards citizenship. They are Americans in most of the ways that count. I think those from South America and Central America that have come here legitimately to obtain refugee status should be looked at and treated humanely.

I think this is pretty close to what most average Democrat politicians would say.

Obama was pretty much as far left as you can be while still being establishment. He deported more people than anyone before him. His stance was to focus on those that commit criminal acts. Some of them committed very minor criminal acts, some none at all. My point is, most Dems aren't for an open border.

P-l-e-a-s-e don't tell me you want to spend billions on a border wall when there is zero net migration.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can progressives learn anything from Republicans? - by The Industrial Atheist - August 2, 2018 at 8:44 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ukrainians dont want to learn Russian language Interaktive 2 326 July 31, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 2194 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3334 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  An honest question for the Republicans Foxaèr 26 1355 November 20, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question About Republicans DeistPaladin 13 1353 September 22, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump’s evangelical adviser to Jim Bakker: ‘It’s not Republicans vs Dems — it’s God v Secular Elf 6 847 March 4, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Ranjr
Big Grin Democrats VS Republicans I believe in Harry Potter 17 2046 October 28, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Rabid Republicans in Oregon senate Rev. Rye 5 630 June 22, 2019 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Republicans, can you explain this to me? Losty 47 6863 May 10, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can the polarization between Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. be reversed? Angrboda 36 5873 December 4, 2018 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Little lunch