Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 8:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
(September 19, 2018 at 8:56 pm)Khemikal Wrote: It can be and has been quantified..to death.  No amount of that stops you or any other anxious person from desperately trying to talk about something else...which, ofc, is part of why it never gets addressed in our society.  Creating magical "productivity" (in an already productive economy) or directly addressing systemic and institutional racism, gee..which one is going to solve the problem of racism?  
Productivity is my response, because I think it's the bottleneck. It's not magic, it's an expression of the basic principles of supply.

If you want to take actual steps, you have to pick a specific quantifiable issue and address it. I'm not denying that there are plenty of those-- so pick one, and say what you'd do about it. I'd say the issue with Wal-Mart and so on would be an excellent place to start.

Quote:I mean, sure..sure, lets conjure up some more stuff...but if we don't solve that other problem..that stuff is going to go where it already goes - and it's not into the hands of disadvantaged populations.  
I'd say the extreme wealth at the top really is a problem-- not because it's unfair, but because those dollars represent real goods and services that people have to provide (or could potentially be paid to provide), and they are trapped like souls in a magic crystal.

Understand, though, that true productivity requires a level of inspiration-- like the desire to win a war, or the awareness that superior effort will bring real rewards.

Quote:Rich white kids sell drugs -at- school.  It's the best place to sell drugs in the whole world, lol.  Hell..that's the only reason I even went to school.  
Yeah, me too. But there aren't a lot of cops there who are just driving around looking for action. In poor areas, the cops are already there. They don't need a tip-off or some anonymous intel, they can just drive around picking up obvious drug-deals like grapes off a vine. Is this not true?

Quote:Gated communities -are- high crime areas, Benny.  Black people and black neighborhoods emphatically do not commit more crime than white people or white neighborhoods.  It's not as if this isn't a known known..even to the police.  Black people and black communities are simply policed at a higher rate, and then sentenced disproportionately thereafter.  We could  make five billion more left handed green widgets tomorrow and that would still be true.
Hmmmm.

I don't hear about a lot of gang violence or sales of drugs on the street, especially with strangers. Can you bring some numbers?

Quote:You might want to try researching those "plans of action" that have been floated and engaged in..since this seems to be the last sterilized bit of nonsense you have to cling to.  I'm not going to do it for you, that bridge is well and truly burnt.

-Meanwhile, your trickle down economic theory of solving issues of racism is absurd on it's face.  We've seen immense growth in productivity the past few decades.  Didn't solve the problems of racism.  Hell, it didn't even solve white americas economic troubles.  The troubles that made them so anxious they thought "hey, let's give white supremacy another try!".
Productivity is not trickle-down economics. Trickle-down economics is tax breaks for rich people, on the belief that they'll be able to apply their advantage better than the working or middle class would. That's horse-shit.

When I say productivity, I'm talking about creating jobs that can be paid for. It sound like you have a problem with that, though I can't imagine a scenario in which you could.

You really confuse me with your resistance on almost all of my proposals. Do you feel prisoners with excessive terms should NOT be released? Do you think that health and day cares should NOT be provided to poor families? Do you feel that we should NOT try to be more productive, so that there's more pie to go around?

It's almost like your goal is to resist any positive effort because you WANT to have economic disparity to virtue signal about. But that couldn't be it. . .

Color me confused, dude.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? - by bennyboy - September 19, 2018 at 10:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 18844 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 337 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 721 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15479 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4123 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1711 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9634 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus