Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just when I thought that Donald Trump could not get any dumber...
RE: Just when I thought that Donald Trump could not get any dumber...
Another Ooops (emphasis mine):

Quote:General Motors Will Slash Jobs and Trump Is Not Happy

When Donald Trump signed the GOP tax bill and later started a trade war with China, he promised Americans that these actions would create jobs. Not all companies got the memo, apparently, as General Motors announced yesterday that it is closing plants in America and Canada and will lay off 14,000 workers. That wasn't in the script.

Donald Trump was not happy that GM's CEO, Mary Barra, was undercutting his plan to bring more jobs to America. He did help out though, by giving her some friendly advice: "They say the Chevy Cruze is not selling well. I say well, then, get a car that is selling well and put it back in." If Barra hadn't thought about focusing on cars that are selling well and dropping those that are not, now she knows what to do. Oh, wait. The plant closures Barra announced were the ones that made the cars that weren't selling well, including the Cruze, the Volt, and the Impala. So much for a businessman-president.

Part of the problem is the tariff on imported steel that Trump levied earlier this year. He did it to help the workers in the companies that make steel, but forgot completely about the much larger number of companies that use steel, like GM. Now that decision is coming back to bite him.

Republicans naturally attacked GM, rather than Trump's tariffs, as the problem. For example, Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) said he was "deeply frustrated with General Motors' decision." There may be more disappointment ahead because the closing of five assembly plants is going to have a big effect on the thousands of companies that make the parts the plants assemble, which is sure to lead to more layoffs in the Midwest. Many of the people laid off probably voted for Trump in 2016, since he claimed he was going to help them. They may be a bit more skeptical come 2020. (V)

General Motors Will Slash Jobs and Trump Is Not Happy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just when I thought that Donald Trump could not get any dumber... - by Jehanne - November 27, 2018 at 7:22 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which nonpolitician could be president? Fake Messiah 8 889 January 16, 2023 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade Cecelia 55 4380 September 29, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1754 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Donald Trump and Melania test positive for Coronavirus zebo-the-fat 42 2873 October 4, 2020 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1067 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump not welcome in Kenosha onlinebiker 47 2037 September 2, 2020 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump’s evangelical adviser to Jim Bakker: ‘It’s not Republicans vs Dems — it’s God v Secular Elf 6 834 March 4, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Donald Trump Officially Impeached! Rev. Rye 118 8188 December 28, 2019 at 6:51 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Hypothetical Trump Resignation (Poll Not Included) BrianSoddingBoru4 21 1425 October 4, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What do you think all these GOP senators get in return for brown nosing Trump? A Godzilla fan 15 1659 September 30, 2019 at 11:52 am
Last Post: A Godzilla fan