Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You had one job!
You had one job!
Hey,

I'm making a great, big "bitch 'bout work" thread.
Be sure to give some context, so we know what your job is. Saying you can't handle all of the guts and blood flying around everywhere is much different if you're a butcher or a stressed-out accountant.
Feel free to advice, of course, but I inted this primarely to vent. After all, you can't realistically ask for someone half-a-world away and not privy to the inner workings of your job and (work)life to fix your problems for you.

Got a boss that can stick it up his ass? A colleague that keeps sticking his nose up the boss' ass? Management keeps interfering with your work? Difficult hours? Sexism? Filthy cafeteria? Hard commute? Pressing deadlines?  Whatever. Feel free to pile on.

I'm a social worker, and broadly speaking, I help people in disadvantaged positions in society, to make the most of their lives (or at least try to) and contribute to and especially integrate into said society to the fullest pf their capacity. Think of it as one part life-coach, 3 parts social and societal guidance, 3 parts administration, 3 parts financial guidance. All the while providing a living wage and checking up if said wage is still earned through efforts of the cliënt and, if not, applying suspension in said wage. It can be hard to keep a balance of.

Anyways, while I like the challenge and diversity of my job... I'm faced with a problem this week. And I think I should make a decission soon. And perhaps, it's something I should have done a long time ago. As a social worker, I'm also entitled to ask for a curator for a person to be applied, when I feel said cliënt is incapable of handling their own affairs and making their own decisions. It's something I've called into action twice so far. In both cases, it was obvious it was needed. The first was a boy of 18 with severe mental retardation. I'm talking: incapable of speaking, understanding what's going on, the young man would get naked everytime someone entered the house, ... He was cared for by his mother, but when he came of age, he needed someone to handle his finances, help him further with the needed care, apply the budget given by the goverment, demand for him to be excempt of voting, deciding on where he'd live, ... All decisions he couldn't make and which his mother had been trying to make for him, until he came of age. 
The second time was after an extreme bout of infrafamilial violence after which the victim was left hallucinating, completely disoriented and just completely in shambles. Glad to note she's making a recovery and hopefully won't need a curator for ever.

Third case... however... Is difficult. My client has schizophrenia, but is medicated. She's fallen into inaction for a while now, but is excempt from having to work, due to her condition. She was however capable of handling her own affairs. And most of the time, is. However recently, it's come to light that she's accused someone of something horrible, online, and is therefore being sued for slander. I'm not sure I actually believe the person she's accusing did what she claims he did, but I do believe she believes he did. Let's just say... It's not the first time she's thrown these accusations around, fiercely. And I'm even surprised she hasn't complained to my boss about me; saying I did this thing. To make matters worse, she's gone for a lawyer, but not pro bono through me. Adding to the financial problems she's suffering from this. Talk about already being 5000 euro's in debt, without any savings to count on. If she'd told me about this in the beginning, I could have minimized the damage. Now I'm wondering if I should apply her for a curator too; to avoid such problems in the future. If she'd had one before, she probably wouldn't have been held accountable and even if so, her costs with a pro bono lawyer would have probably landed at about a 1000 euro's maximum. 
The doctor doesn't seem to agree with appointing a curator. But I can still call for an investigation. And from my experience: If I ask for one, it will come to a curator. But it is an  invasive procedure and most of the time, she does not need one. 
I have to make a decision that will likely heavily impact the rest of someone's life. An d I don't feel convicted to lean one way or the other... And I know whichever I will end up choosing: I won't like my choice.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-

Messages In This Thread
You had one job! - by Mr.Obvious - December 6, 2018 at 6:52 pm
RE: You had one job! - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - December 6, 2018 at 6:53 pm
RE: You had one job! - by brewer - December 6, 2018 at 7:59 pm
RE: You had one job! - by viocjit - December 7, 2018 at 6:56 am
RE: You had one job! - by Mr.Obvious - December 7, 2018 at 7:54 am
RE: You had one job! - by onlinebiker - December 6, 2018 at 8:03 pm
RE: You had one job! - by tackattack - December 6, 2018 at 8:36 pm
RE: You had one job! - by viocjit - December 7, 2018 at 8:31 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 805 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  What job(s) did you have as a kid? arewethereyet 25 2138 April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Sal
  My shit ass job just called me back up CarveTheFive 25 1998 May 9, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  had had and the lexical ambiguity Rhizomorph13 4 356 March 4, 2020 at 4:14 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I never had hangover. purplepurpose 15 1353 February 25, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If Jesus had ascended into Heaven... Jehanne 23 2085 May 13, 2019 at 7:38 am
Last Post: madog
  The best job in the world... Gawdzilla Sama 31 2192 April 23, 2019 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  My new job involves :) Megabullshit 17 1474 April 10, 2019 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  What is job like in Motorcycle Showroom ? Megabullshit 13 887 April 1, 2019 at 1:46 am
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Surreal day on the job...more of the same on the way. arewethereyet 75 5262 March 7, 2019 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Godscreated