Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surreal day on the job...more of the same on the way.
Surreal day on the job...more of the same on the way.
I work as a bookkeeper on a contract basis through an agency.  I get sent to help when things are a mess, usually.  When someone up and left and hadn't been doing their job for a while or when there is a software conversion and some cleanup needs to be done or covering for someone on a leave of absence or medical leave.  Some assignments are great...some, not so much.

I finished an assignment at a law firm last week and went out on a new assignment today.  Well, this is going to be interesting.  Not counting the fact the commute is awful there are some other...shall we say - issues.

It's at a rather large Baptist church.  It's in an area that serves very wealthy people...like people who own their own planes and have regular appointments with their plastic surgeons.  This church has been around since the 50s and has been built onto and from what I can tell - takes in a shit ton of money.

So, yeah... the accounting office is in the basement of the original part of the church with the sanctuary above.  I spent over 90 minutes with the safety guy who went over everything from stranger danger to tornados to bomb threats to active shooter protocol.  There are nearly 170 cameras - monitored - on the grounds, inside and out.  God must be slacking if they need all that - I wonder if the evolve fish on my back window is now part of some secret threat file.

Looking at three months possibly on this gig.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

RE: Surreal day on the job...more of the same on the way.
(February 19, 2019 at 9:16 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I work as a bookkeeper on a contract basis through an agency.  I get sent to help when things are a mess, usually.  When someone up and left and hadn't been doing their job for a while or when there is a software conversion and some cleanup needs to be done or covering for someone on a leave of absence or medical leave.  Some assignments are great...some, not so much.

I finished an assignment at a law firm last week and went out on a new assignment today.  Well, this is going to be interesting.  Not counting the fact the commute is awful there are some other...shall we say - issues.

It's at a rather large Baptist church.  It's in an area that serves very wealthy people...like people who own their own planes and have regular appointments with their plastic surgeons.  This church has been around since the 50s and has been built onto and from what I can tell - takes in a shit ton of money.

So, yeah... the accounting office is in the basement of the original part of the church with the sanctuary above.  I spent over 90 minutes with the safety guy who went over everything from stranger danger to tornados to bomb threats to active shooter protocol.  There are nearly 170 cameras - monitored - on the grounds, inside and out.  God must be slacking if they need all that - I wonder if the evolve fish on my back window is now part of some secret threat file.

Many churches today do not trust God to protect them and have methods laid out for themselves, the stranger danger could be a cause for concern as the cars could be broken into during services or even while daily work is going on, so be glad they are even looking out for your car evo-fish and all.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Yeah, arewethereyet, why don't you tell that church to hire Godscreated to tell them how to properly conduct Christianity, which fairy tales from the Bible to take seriously and which only as a metaphor because Godscreated is the true Pope of the Christianity, heck he may even be second cumming of Jesus.

But seriously, just on this forum there are so many Christian individuals who see themselves as someone who knows what real Christianity is and, even more, which are the false ones, like some sort of popes. It's just they never seem to be able to agree among each-other or even try to talk. I mean really Christians you should make a big meeting where you could talk it out.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(February 19, 2019 at 9:16 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I work as a bookkeeper on a contract basis through an agency.  I get sent to help when things are a mess, usually.  When someone up and left and hadn't been doing their job for a while or when there is a software conversion and some cleanup needs to be done or covering for someone on a leave of absence or medical leave.  Some assignments are great...some, not so much.

What made it surreal? The fact that they accepted an atheist bookeeper? The fact that they're bringing in a shit ton of money? The fact that safety is important for new hires? The fact that there are cameras everywhere? I'm missing what's surreal. Sounds like you got a good temporary gig.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

So what the problem is?

Do you mean to say your hate for christians is like that of whites who hated blackpeople back at the beginning of the 20th centry? are you so disgusted by christians that you can't do your job?

Or is your understanding of god so limited that the protocols and cameras to you are evidences of no God?

Did you not know on Jesus' last moments as a free man he wanted to goto the garden of gethsemane to pray, and he knew he would be confronted or maybe killed along the way. so he told his disciples to arm themselves. Jesus had it with in him to single handedly disarm all of them, and he infact did so with a single word that dropped the gaurds to their knees. Despite this his disciples did infact bring swords/mechanical means to defend themselves. Why? because not every situation needs the supernatural intervention of God. meaning if we have it with in our ablity to watch with cameras then we are to watch with cameras.

or do you simply not like the accountability the camera put on you?
(February 20, 2019 at 10:37 am)tackattack Wrote: What made it surreal? The fact that they accepted an atheist bookeeper? The fact that they're bringing in a shit ton of money? The fact that safety is important for new hires? The fact that there are cameras everywhere? I'm missing what's surreal. Sounds like you got a good temporary gig.

What arewethereyet found strange was how little faith these holy people had in God and that he would protect them by having such extensive security. It's like going on a lake to walk on water but also bringing with you scuba gear just in case there is no God.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
TBH it seems more like paranoia than anything based on a rational risk assessment.
I personally don't think God gives 2 shits about the building, IMO. And if she was really surprised by a congregation's lack of faith... there are a ton of stories I could tell. It's actually becoming more and more common for people, especially those who have never had their faith tested, to not actually be able to articulate their beliefs, much less express their faith outwardly. It's not a surprising thing at all. Certainly not rising to the level of surreal.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
My opinion on this is: Get That money provided by the faithfull and if it's 3 months worth, it's not bad. Well as long they pay you, the money's good, but I don't find surreal all the surveillance. Unless they are paying with thoughts and prayers. After all:

Outch Dad, that is me and you with the holy spirit. You should practice your aim to those heathens Big Grin

Should've become a turf accountant. Much better prospects.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The right way to be and the wrong way to be Ahriman 57 4504 April 29, 2022 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Ever been treated this way? Strange Vague Story. Disagreeable 18 1118 January 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Is this the same guy? chimp3 8 647 May 31, 2021 at 12:33 am
Last Post: chimp3
  What job(s) did you have as a kid? arewethereyet 25 2086 April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Sal
  Cold - either way. onlinebiker 12 612 January 23, 2021 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My shit ass job just called me back up CarveTheFive 25 1913 May 9, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  Other forums just aren't the same Violet 18 1320 May 3, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  I am going naked on here to challenge my wife to do the same. funcouple 19 1604 August 31, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  The best job in the world... Gawdzilla Sama 31 2092 April 23, 2019 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The proper way to breastfeed in public Foxaèr 21 1765 April 21, 2019 at 7:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama