Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Libertarians and Atheists - Common Ground?
RE: Christian Libertarians and Atheists - Common Ground?
(May 5, 2019 at 9:23 pm)lowellwballard Wrote: Thanks.  Good points.  That really makes me have to think.

I guess I am referring to applying "A priori" knowledge to an actual, rather than abstract, situation (perhaps is that the same as "A posteriori"?).  So, the question may be, is there any application of deductive logic that doesn't also require some form of inductive logic, even if the premises seem almost certainly true?

You seem like a nice guy. Why not introduce yourself here?

A priori truths need not be heavy abstractions. If I say that I've been married for three years, you could deduce a priori that I have been married for at least two years. Such a deduction can be done a priori. While the premise that I've been married for three years is an a posteriori truth, once you've confirmed that it is in fact true, you can use that true premise to deduce other true things without further observation.

Quote:By saying we treat things as "definitely true" that are actually "probably true", I am referring to how we don't give a second thought to innumerable low probability events that could occur.  For example, we have "faith" that every elevator we step into will work even though there is a slight possibility it will fail.  So, I guess I am arguing that "faith" shouldn't be a religious notion, but rather no different than how we actually act on probabilities in other areas of life.

Sure. But then that would mean that everybody has "faith." And being "a person of faith" then becomes a meaningless term, because it would apply to anyone.

Furthermore, I find the probability of a creator deity to be highly improbable. If someone were to try to convince me to believe in their god, they may say something like: "You need to have faith that Jesus dies for your sins." Since I already think that this is improbable, having faith in the matter wouldn't change a thing (going by your definition, anyway).

Quote:I guess I am not sure there are any premises in real life that are actually 100% "definitely true".  At very least, human perceptions of reality would seem to be fallible.

I very much agree with you that human perceptions are fallible. That's why we have disciplines such as philosophy and science that try to work around the basic fallibility of our perceptions... through repeated testing and rigorous logic.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christian Libertarians and Atheists - Common Ground? - by vulcanlogician - May 5, 2019 at 11:02 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 500 & Common Sense. Jehanne 53 4343 June 29, 2021 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89547 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype LetsDebateThings 121 12728 June 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3385 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Proposed: A common definition for "True Christian" Gawdzilla Sama 45 5134 September 28, 2016 at 3:52 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, how would you explain these Christian testimonies? miguel54 44 9464 August 28, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Is people being violent until they find Jesus a common occurance? ReptilianPeon 27 5211 November 12, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7442 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Christian to Atheists: "Don't look at the bible too closely." Esquilax 11 2915 December 3, 2013 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Atheists rudely snubbed by Christian head of soup kitchen. Didn't matter. Ryantology 12 6939 November 4, 2013 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72