Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists, how would you explain these Christian testimonies?
Atheists, how would you explain these Christian testimonies?
An example of a famous testimony is a former Muslim by the name of Afshin Javid. He claims he was a former Muslim extremist who was in a jail cell in Malaysia. While he was meditating, Jesus appeared to him and quoted bible versus. 

This is all over youtube. There are many videos where Muslims have some sort of "supernatural" intervention where they meet Jesus, and then they convert to Christianity. I am sceptical about these claims but I want to know your perspective on how these could be explained? In the videos many of the people cry and look very sincere so I have a hard time thinking they are just making everything up on purpose. I feel that they believe these interventions took place, whether they did in actual fact or not. How would someone with no knowledge of Jesus see Jesus if it was not real?
RE: Atheists, how would you explain these Christian testimonies?
Mental illness.
(August 25, 2016 at 11:32 pm)miguel54 Wrote: An example of a famous testimony is a former Muslim by the name of Afshin Javid. He claims he was a former Muslim extremist who was in a jail cell in Malaysia. While he was meditating, Jesus appeared to him and quoted bible versus. 

This is all over youtube. There are many videos where Muslims have some sort of "supernatural" intervention where they meet Jesus, and then they convert to Christianity. I am sceptical about these claims but I want to know your perspective on how these could be explained? In the videos many of the people cry and look very sincere so I have a hard time thinking they are just making everything up on purpose. I feel that they believe these interventions took place, whether they did in actual fact or not. How would someone with no knowledge of Jesus see Jesus if it was not real?

They just want attention and to be forgiven for their horrible actions.

(August 25, 2016 at 11:34 pm)ScienceAf Wrote:
(August 25, 2016 at 11:32 pm)miguel54 Wrote: An example of a famous testimony is a former Muslim by the name of Afshin Javid. He claims he was a former Muslim extremist who was in a jail cell in Malaysia. While he was meditating, Jesus appeared to him and quoted bible versus. 

They just want attention and to be forgiven for their horrible actions.

Alot of people believe in god so why not use it to their advantage.

Delusion.

Wishful thinking.

Misinformation.

Simple claims.

Fraud.

Youtube videos are hardly evidence.

See, the thing about personal testimonies is that they may be convincing to the people who "experienced" them, which is fine.

But they also expect everyone else to take their "personal revelation" as proof of what they experienced.

You want me to believe, provide evidence, not claims.
Dying to live, living to die.
You have that shit with every religion. It goes the other way too. When it happens to me, I'll believe it.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(August 25, 2016 at 11:38 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Delusion.

Wishful thinking.

Misinformation.

Simple claims.

Fraud.

See, the thing about personal testimonies is that they may be convincing to the people who "experienced" them, which is fine.

But they also expect everyone else to take their "personal revelation" as proof of what they experienced.

I totally understand what you are saying, how would you explain someone being fed bible versus when they have no knowledge of the bible?
(August 25, 2016 at 11:44 pm)miguel54 Wrote:
(August 25, 2016 at 11:38 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Delusion.

Wishful thinking.

Misinformation.

Simple claims.

Fraud.

I totally understand what you are saying, how would you explain someone being fed bible versus when they have no knowledge of the bible?

The Qu'ran holds many of the same passages.  Especially from the OT.

Again, we only have the peoples' word that this is what happened or their level of knowledge of something.
Dying to live, living to die.
I'm always curious about these 'appearances'. What did Jesus look like? Did he just happen to resemble a figure in a Renaissance painting? Did he look Palestinian? Was there a vague resemblance to a scorch pattern on a piece of toast? And what makes them so sure it's Jesus?
Not responding to the events in the OP specifically, but in a parallel vein. Approaching any claimed phenomena with the question "How do you explain this?" isn't the best thing to do. It's not the job of a skeptic to claim an explanation, a skeptic just responds to proposed explanations - asking for evidence, etc. If we knew exactly nothing about the muslim man in the OP, we'd simply say "we don't know" when asked for an 'explanation.' It's the burden of the claimant to support his claim, not the burden of the skeptic to propose an alternative. Just stating "we don't know" is the most honest thing you can do if an explanation is not forthcoming or apparent.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88897 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype LetsDebateThings 121 12613 June 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Christian Libertarians and Atheists - Common Ground? lowellwballard 21 1793 May 13, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I Bet "Jesus" Is Real Proud of These Shits Minimalist 34 6055 December 4, 2018 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 71747 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  God is completely inadequate to explain anything whatsoever Whateverist 20 2928 March 14, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Amarok
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3368 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 5828 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 34374 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  These atheists are right, no, it is not trolling. Brian37 11 2899 March 19, 2016 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Little lunch