Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian to Atheists: "Don't look at the bible too closely."
Christian to Atheists: "Don't look at the bible too closely."
I know Ken Ham is low hanging fruit and all, but that fruit hangs low because it is fellows.

At this point, I'm wondering what it is the Hamster actually wants: since he doesn't want us reading the bible, I guess it's just to shut up and fall in line with his specific doctrine?

So... he's literally every christian public figure? Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
RE: Christian to Atheists: "Don't look at the bible too closely."
I once told my grandmother that we read the bible so we can decide if we want to worship God. She said no, you decide to worship God and read the bible to know how.

This all started going downhill when the commoners learned how to read. I'm sure it was easier when the preacher was the only one who could read, so the sheeple couldn't bring up the problems in the bible. Then they went and made it illegal in some parts of the world to kill someone for questioning the faith.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Ask your grandma which bible. There are so many and each has its own deluded band of dedicated clowns.
[Image: RobertEnglund_zpsad4a7332.jpg]

[Image: Ken_Ham_zps82419e16.jpg]

Bit of a resemblance don't you think? Perhaps the resemblance is more than skin deep?Tongue
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

She swears by the KJV. That's the only version you need. Despite that purportedly being the worst version. I have/had a NIV.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Basically, he seems to be saying that if you read the Bible, you need to do it with a healthy dose of confirmation bias and it makes sense.

I guess it kinda does. But, then again, if you read Mein Kampf with confirmation bias, that will make sense, too.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
We used to have a Baptist preacher around here who swore that you should only get a King James, that was the truest version. And one should avoid the NIV like the plague. He always called it the HIV, "because it will give you spiritual AIDS."

Where do they get these people? Prolly a friend of Strodel's
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

(December 1, 2013 at 10:18 pm)Esquilax Wrote: At this point, I'm wondering what it is the Hamster actually wants: since he doesn't want us reading the bible, I guess it's just to shut up and fall in line with his specific doctrine?

So... he's literally every christian public figure? Thinking

That's basically my opinion too. I'm sure that in their ideal world, nobody except them would have access to or be able to read their vile book (such as was the case for centuries). Then all the power would be in their hands, like in the good old days.

(December 1, 2013 at 11:08 pm)Raven Wrote: Bit of a resemblance don't you think? Perhaps the resemblance is more than skin deep?Tongue

There are notable differences, though. One is a notorious, nightmarish molestor of impressionable imaginations, while the other was created by Wes Craven.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Read the Bible -- but don't read it critically. It's the old -- you have to believe it before you can believe it. They also play the card -- the Bible can only be properly understood by xtians -- special people. It is a special book that only special people can properly comprehend.

The fact of the matter is that in all religions -- the doctrine must be incomprehensible. It must contradict itself, be vague, ambiguous, nonsensical, absurd, and just plain wrong. This is why religion can only function in an authoritarian construct.

It's OK, we told you what to believe.

Some people, if not told what to believe, really could not come up with a belief system on their own. It's sad, just fucking sad.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste -- don't pollute it with bullshit.
(December 2, 2013 at 3:20 pm)Godlesspanther Wrote: It is a special book that only special people can properly comprehend.

I couldn't agree more.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44083 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88912 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype LetsDebateThings 121 12622 June 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Christian Libertarians and Atheists - Common Ground? lowellwballard 21 1793 May 13, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  C'mon, Look At All This Stuff That's Real YahwehIsTheWay 66 12667 December 28, 2018 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Just Look at all Those Fulfilled Prophecies! YahwehIsTheWay 37 5683 December 6, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Too Soon For a Lie YahwehIsTheWay 14 2623 December 5, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Look! Nothing! YahwehIsTheWay 1 521 November 30, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  A look into the mindset of an Evangelical Trumptard drfuzzy 10 1571 October 12, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Too Late Fucktards. You Own Him Now. Minimalist 10 1494 October 10, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37