Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 1:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetical Trump Resignation (Poll Not Included)
RE: Hypothetical Trump Resignation (Poll Not Included)
(September 30, 2019 at 3:03 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Suppose for a brief moment that we live in a fantasy world in which Donald Trump is offered a deal, a la Nixon/Ford.  He agrees to resign in return for either a pardon, or a guarantee of immunity from prosecution once he's out.

Would this be acceptable to most anti-Trump Americans, or would it be more just for him to be forced out and have to face the music for crimes committed while in office?

Boru

Not to me.

Justice is essential but not formulated for the purpose of adequately deterring malfeasance of at this level and of this consequence.    Justice as might have been conceived by framers of the constitution for presidential crimes still presupposed a sense of decency across the mainstream political spectrum and a certain noblis oblige.   Neither of these proved to be the case.

We already proved, not for the first time I might add, the social-political construct that's this country is quite susceptible to the sort of moral irresponsibility and short-sightedness that would put a character like trump into the supreme office.    We also proved the systems of two party and three government branch checks and balance we've taken so long for granted as being adequate security against truly bad governance is in reality no guaranty at all against the damages that can be done by characters like trump.

I don't think these underlying critical weaknesses can even attempted to be addressed in the foreseeable future. 

So the only deterrence against another Trumpian character putting the world at risk is reasonable assurance that such fate as would befall trump, his clan, and his hangers was too terrible for the potential gains he and they were after to have been worth the risk, and future trumps and their minions, looking back upon these fates, would be daunted from beginning to walk down his path.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hypothetical Trump Resignation (Poll Not Included) - by Anomalocaris - September 30, 2019 at 6:02 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBI support Poll neil 58 3041 April 1, 2024 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1089 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump not welcome in Kenosha onlinebiker 47 2069 September 2, 2020 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump’s evangelical adviser to Jim Bakker: ‘It’s not Republicans vs Dems — it’s God v Secular Elf 6 838 March 4, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36948 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Just when I thought that Donald Trump could not get any dumber... Jehanne 16 2200 November 27, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  How will the Trump Presidency end? (Poll) TheBeardedDude 55 14748 October 18, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Anonymous Poll on political ideology A Handmaid 77 22919 August 26, 2017 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: shadow
  I'm awfully confused: how do Trump supporters relate to Trump NuclearEnergy 11 3178 March 7, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Trump was not wearing translator earpiece during Japan PM speech. The Industrial Atheist 4 1084 February 28, 2017 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: abaris