Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plantinga's "Free Will" defense contradicts Christianity
Plantinga's "Free Will" defense contradicts Christianity
I posted this on reasonablefaith.org (I doubt it will even be approved by the moderator).  I figure I'd post it here as well.  I typically don't post on this forum because it's no fun when everyone agrees - I tend to post on the religious sites.  But I'd like to hear what people think as I haven't heard it before.  If others have said it, klet me know.

Something has always bothered me about Plantinga's Free Will defense regarding the 'Problem of Evil', which to me is the most devastating argument against a theological God.  Plantinga claims evil and a good/loving God can co-exist, as the enabling of free will requires evil and a greater moral good could result from such free will.  But such a rational is clearly contradicts Christianity.  Let's ignore the fact even the statement  itself invalidates God (it implies there are unchanging laws to which even God must subscribe to - ie, free will requires evil).  Just consider:

1) The Christian God has directly killed millions of people
2) He has ordered the killing of millions more
3) He aids his people with storms, plagues, and various other phenomena
4) He sends his Son to save people that otherwise would not be
5) He cures some diseases, raises the dead, feeds the hungry, and so forth
6) Heck, he EVEN makes sure there is enough wine at a party he attends

Clearly, the Christian God is WILLING and DOES violate the free will doctrine.  Plantinga's defense only makes sense as long as God NEVER interacts with the universe.  But according to the Bible and Christian theology, this happens constantly, even for something as simple as a party needing more wine.

Thus, although Plantinga's defense may be philosophical sound, it contradicts Christian theology - and therefore is invalid when used to defend Christianity.

Messages In This Thread
Plantinga's "Free Will" defense contradicts Christianity - by mrj - January 16, 2020 at 4:21 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6794 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  An abortion in defense of the Bible. IanHulett 3 1384 July 19, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The most insane defense of faith healing ever Esquilax 38 6594 February 27, 2015 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Spooky
  Rational defense of Christianity? watchamadoodle 108 27667 January 4, 2015 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Judgement day defense strageity [sic] Pt. 2 Mudhammam 26 5847 November 5, 2014 at 12:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Judgement day defense strageity. Drich 87 11905 November 4, 2014 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The free will argument demonstrates that christians don't understand free will. Esquilax 91 17664 May 2, 2014 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Genesis 1:1 contradicts science. Mudhammam 36 10014 January 9, 2014 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8497 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18327 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)