Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Relationships: Finding your perfect match and then losing them.
RE: Relationships: Finding your perfect match and then losing them.
(July 16, 2020 at 10:27 am)Gnomey Wrote: There may only be so many fish in your pond, but those fish change over time, in the same way you change over time. If I had met my fish five years ago, we would NOT have worked, and I'd have assumed that fish would never be for me.

I agree with this.

Quote:Another thing: relationships are about two people.

I agree with this too.

Quote:So, while they may have been perfect for you, you may not have been perfect for them (though I'm sure you're perfect for someone!!).

I agree with this. But it may also be the case that I'm the best they will ever get just like they will be the best I will ever get.

Quote: If you weren't perfect for them, they're definitely not perfect for you.

I agree with this but I don't believe in absolute perfection. To me "perfect for me" just means "the best I will ever get".

Quote:There are also ways of exploring new ponds, or expanding the one you're in!

Well, I don't think that I can explore new ponds or expand the one I am in because I am defining the pond as all the water that I will explore in my lifetime relationship-wise.

Quote: The internet is a wonderful thing, my friend. You might also want to try to adjust the way you look at relationships. It's tempting to rate the people you've been with on the "perfect for me or not" scale. But instead, if you just see them as different, you might find a new perspective. Comparing people to each other may not be the way to go.

It's possible that I could find somebody else who was just as good for me but in a different way. But I don't think it's remotely likely.

Like, if I was to make a single criticism of my loved one it would be that she is perhaps not disagreeable enough. But she's so perfect in every other way, and it's so much better than somebody who can't handle disagreements with me which is all my other friends and relationships, that I don't consider it even a flaw. Because, like I said, I don't believe in absolute perfection. I discount that as a flaw when it's the only one I can think of and it's so minor that it basically doesn't count because there's no way I'll find anybody slightly more disagreeable who is overall better than her. Everything else about her is 100% perfect to me and she's only lacking in disagreeability by something like 1%. Like, she doesn't enjoy debates, etc. I could imagine enjoying debates with a girlfriend. But I can't imagine that girlfriend having enough of the other wonderful qualities that she has. There's just no way I'll ever meet anybody better than her. It's logically possible. But it's so incredibly unlikely.

Okay, let me ask a more specific question. Hypothetically, if you were to accept my premise that I really will never meet somebody as wonderful for me as her ... then what?
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts

Messages In This Thread
RE: Relationships: Finding your perfect match and then losing them. - by Porcupine - July 16, 2020 at 10:40 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If life is temporary, why is finding a date so HARD? snow_wolf22 126 7680 October 30, 2023 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Age Gap Relationships FrustratedFool 32 1683 September 21, 2023 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  How would you react to finding out you were making out with a transsexual? TaraJo 102 6569 March 28, 2019 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do satirists respond to criticism from the ones close to them? Der/die AtheistIn 3 518 March 13, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Getting space in relationships Der/die AtheistIn 17 838 September 16, 2018 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*