Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds
RE: Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds
LOL, bit of a misconception, harm isn't my jam either - I'm just the token realist arguing for bog standard realist propositions to help other people understand in those moments where their objections fail to land, -that- their objections fail to land. I've got alot of ticks of communication - so I'm sure that the kerfuffle is all on me.

Harm, to put it plainly, is just one of the first things to look for. A thing, of many things, with moral import. Pleasure is there too. Don't harm, do help. There are more (or more instructive) instances in which pleasure is present and good is absent than instances in which bad is present and harm is absent, imo. That's the utility for me. More and easier grist for the mill.

I think that it's bad to harm people today for some future good. Abortion, environmental justice or action, same same. At the level of moral facts of a matter, doing a bad thing for a good reason is and always will still be doing a bad thing. I think that a person who does that bad thing for that good reason, eyes wide open, has a clearer view of any moral field which we might call objective. It will be much easier for them to understand the notion of moral objectivity than it will be for any person who believes that the final assessment of composite situation whcih may have exclusively suboptimal outcomes is, by force, equivalent to moral assessment of an act in isolation and relies n just a single proposition which, showing any exception, renders the whole moot.

As you and I have discussed before - I'm a moral realist, sure, but also a moral pluralist. Moral pluralism leads to situations where a bad thing can have a good outcome (consistent with what we see in mere reality). Moral pluralism allows me to be personally against abortion in any case - but deeply pro-choice. Plural realism affords me the specificity and rationality of any other assertion to truth in a world of many relevant variables and cirumstances.

A great example of how this plays out, playing on an earlier question...is that I think it's bad to stick kids with needles. If we could vaccinate kids without sticking them with needles - then we should do that. You'd have to be a lollipop swiping monster to argue this point with me or with a child, lol. We can't - so that's what we're going to do, we're just picking the least shitty thing in our list of available moral responses to a situation of moral import. We could keep kids from getting polio by hitting them over the heads with bricks, too, but I think that theres a reason that we don;t do that. When we talk about morality as laymen we parcel the world up into into obviously™ goods and bads for effect..but..I can't remember who said it...something along the lines of how the world does not come to us or to me, in pieces, discrete - but all at once and as one one thing. The moral decisions we make every day are more like that than our demonstrative examples of moral principle.

A person, in that light, could see and agree with every moral postulate of their opposition, disagree with just one amoral proposition - and come to entirely disparate conclusions about the whole thing. Rationally.

*(also, I want to point out that I have these conversations with four children on the regular - pretty much no one else - I assume that I fall into those same patterns when I talk about it on the boards, which would cause any self respecting adult to rage)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds - by The Grand Nudger - May 7, 2021 at 5:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toward a Planet of Dogs? Leonardo17 1 396 November 9, 2023 at 9:31 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 13517 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6800 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6830 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3944 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3200 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3892 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 4861 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3240 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7286 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet