Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 11:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds
RE: Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds
That would seem to be the thing that's different between a necessary and unnecessary evil as I conceive of them, yes. Necessity - both are evil.

I think I dropped a line about this one a few responses back - so long as we have to stick a kid with a needle to vaccinate them - that's what we're going to do. In either case, the killing of a person or the vaccinating of a child - if we constrain the field to nothing but bad things - it may be the case that some of those bad things leads to better outcomes than others but that doesn't suggest that we don't recognize or work to eliminate the bad in that thing as we see it.

Vaccinating kids is immensely instructive in this regard. Sure, we see the necessity or the practicality - and we want that enough to allay our concerns about whatever pain or fear it causes beyond some point. We tell our kids "hey, it's just one little prick". We expect the provider to be skilled and careful. If we could deliver the medication another way - we would. Yes, pricking kids with needles is pricking kids with needles in any situation. There can be all kinds of diffeences between the two situations, but the similarity there is the pricking of the kid with the needle - which is something that concerns us, which we take steps to address.

(my kids are giant assholes about this, btw, they're all afraid of needles but they just love sticking each other with pushpins - wtf is that?)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds - by The Grand Nudger - May 8, 2021 at 2:46 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toward a Planet of Dogs? Leonardo17 1 402 November 9, 2023 at 9:31 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 13581 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6834 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6903 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 4010 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3252 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3954 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 4923 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3343 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7320 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet