Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 9:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience.
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience.
(March 11, 2022 at 7:44 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: There are plenty of biological causes for altered states of consciousness. That's something that wasn't widely considered when the Qur'an was being authored. Epilepsy wasn't even in the wheelhouse of things most might have considered when analyzing the source of prophecy. In contemporary times, this has changed.

That's not to say either side can prove anything one way or another. But we have centuries of speculation that did not consider physiological causes, and now it's time for the pendulum to swing the other way.

It's not just temporal lobe epilepsy. There are a host of psychological conditions that have been shown to produce "prophecy." Schizophrenia, for instance.

Schizophrenia is even more problematic, i guess.. It's not plausible to say the prophet had the so-called negative symptoms, a social reformer like Muhammad PBUH withdraws socially......? lacks motivation.. ? has disorganized speech..? The only thing you can argue for here is that the content of the purported revelations was a delusion of his mind.. delusion and hallucinations being other symptoms of schizophrenia. But again, that a schizophrenic managed to start a new religious movement, withstand prosecution and death threats for more than a decade, unite arabia under one flag, conduct wars, convince thousands of people to die for his religion, etc. is not plausible to me.

(March 11, 2022 at 7:44 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: I think this is the best way for you to proceed if you want to defend mystical experiences. If I understand you correctly, even if such visions have physiological causes, that doesn't fully undermine their validity. But to claim that God obviously had a hand in making these visions transpire, that's a tough one to argue to an unbiased, undecided party.

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. Any experience corresponds to a mental state, after all. If we reject the prophet's claim of divine origin just because his experiences seem to be pathological, then there is a huge problem: by definition, we consider any mental state that diverges from the ordinary to be pathological, but again, a mental state of someone purportedly having a supernatural experience is definitely expected to be abnormal.

None of this shows by itself that the prophet's experience is veridical. But the disturbing question is (for anyone who doesn't take any mystical experience at face value) : how can you possibly tell that an experience is coming from God?

I think the most rational stance is that we should accept anyone's claim that they have an experience from God, and only dismiss them when we are presented with a good reason to do so. A skeptic still has the door open to say that there are indeed good reasons: say, an internal inconsistency in the claim, a claim that simply doesn't agree with known facts about the world, etc. With regards to unfalsifiable claims, it's not clear to me that all unfalsifiable claims are false or useless.

Messages In This Thread
Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Jehanne - September 1, 2021 at 9:33 am
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Jehanne - September 1, 2021 at 10:36 am
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Jehanne - September 1, 2021 at 11:02 am
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Jehanne - September 1, 2021 at 11:45 am
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Jehanne - September 1, 2021 at 11:10 am
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Jehanne - September 1, 2021 at 11:14 am
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Jehanne - September 1, 2021 at 12:09 pm
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Jehanne - September 1, 2021 at 12:51 pm
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by brewer - September 1, 2021 at 12:19 pm
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Ranjr - September 1, 2021 at 12:58 pm
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Ranjr - September 1, 2021 at 2:36 pm
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Ranjr - September 1, 2021 at 11:43 pm
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Foxaèr - September 2, 2021 at 12:06 am
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by Ranjr - September 2, 2021 at 12:27 am
RE: Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. - by R00tKiT - March 11, 2022 at 10:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16796 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I had a religious experience the other night I_am_not_mafia 34 5465 November 22, 2017 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7838 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  My experience in a Moon church/organization (korean religion) Macoleco 20 7098 May 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Near death experience of Howard Storm scoobysnack 548 84184 October 28, 2016 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Doing a big poo is a Religious experience FreeTony 8 3927 February 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: StuW
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 33021 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Apologist Matt Slick's atheist daughter tells of her experience growing up Fidel_Castronaut 20 8941 July 22, 2013 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Disturbed Theist Calls The Atheist Experience Cosmic Ape 117 48852 April 10, 2013 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  A doctor's experience with the afterlife TaraJo 13 5093 October 24, 2012 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Angrboda