Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A doctor's experience with the afterlife
A doctor's experience with the afterlife
Am I the only one frustrated by this article?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/20...rlife.html

He's supposed to be a man of science. He's supposed to have an understanding of how the brain works and he's supposed to understand how it can affect your mind when changes are made to your brain (for example, bacteria eating your brain). He's even supposed to value empirical data and evidence. When you take that into consideration, it's extremely frustrating that he's chalking this up to afterlife.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: A doctor's experience with the afterlife
So how is dreaming during a coma medically impossible? How is a NDE not entirely unlike that had by other people, which could be traced to brain activity in them, 'proof' of an afterlife? And here's the big one: How can he visit an afterlife if he wasn't dead!?!
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Quote:Although I considered myself a faithful Christian,

There's your answer.
(October 14, 2012 at 5:44 pm)Darkstar Wrote: So how is dreaming during a coma medically impossible? How is a NDE not entirely unlike that had by other people, which could be traced to brain activity in them, 'proof' of an afterlife? And here's the big one: How can he visit an afterlife if he wasn't dead!?!

Because changes to your brain can change your own perceptions. If the right changes were made to your brain, you'd be absolutely certain that yesterday someone turned you into a duck and then changed you back (hell, the right changes can convince someone that they're still a duck). And if the right changes are made while you're unconscious, you'll be absolutely certain you saw angels and heaven.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Yes I too am frustrated by an alleged person of science leaping to this claim based on one subjective experience.
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
As far as I know whilest dying, ones mind goes through all sorts of memorised scenarios to find one wich might relate to the current one, and wich may help you save your life.
One might aswell (I`m assuming) go through fantasies one has had. I`m actualy looking forward to that. Remembering great past moments or just the fantasy of riding through pink Hamburg on a unicorn.
I am certain, that what one sees in his or her final minutes, hours or days, depends alot one wich memories have the biggest impact or wich things are remembered best or were indoctrinated in the best way. So if someone was indoctrinated in a religious way I wouldnt be suprised if he or she sees something religious in those moments.

I know of 3 cases in the erea where I grew up, where the dying started to sing nazi propaganda songs, wich they were succesfully indoctinated to sing as kids, in their final minutes. Try and make a religious ad out of that.
(October 14, 2012 at 5:58 pm)TaraJo Wrote: Because changes to your brain can change your own perceptions. If the right changes were made to your brain, you'd be absolutely certain that yesterday someone turned you into a duck and then changed you back (hell, the right changes can convince someone that they're still a duck). And if the right changes are made while you're unconscious, you'll be absolutely certain you saw angels and heaven.

Well, yeah, that's certainly the scientifically correct answer (which the doctor completely glossed over). My main point is, this guy is ignoring common sense in that he thinks he was able to visit the afterlife without dying.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Simply the mind's interpretation of the hallucination due to memory deprivation.

Link
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
If he is here to blather about it, then evidently it didn't occur after his death. Why is this not clear to even Christians?
Because they are thick as shit?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. Jehanne 80 4804 March 20, 2022 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1355 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 15967 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I had a religious experience the other night I_am_not_mafia 34 5382 November 22, 2017 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7731 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  My experience in a Moon church/organization (korean religion) Macoleco 20 6963 May 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Near death experience of Howard Storm scoobysnack 548 81582 October 28, 2016 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Morality versus afterlife robvalue 163 30352 March 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  The afterlife and the soul Vincent 87 17836 January 11, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Doing a big poo is a Religious experience FreeTony 8 3898 February 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: StuW