Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 5, 2024, 2:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can multiple people hallucinate the same thing at the same time ?
RE: Can multiple people hallucinate the same thing at the same time ?
(August 19, 2022 at 2:44 pm)LazaB Wrote: One more thing i think about when people tell me that their dead relatives visited them in some way is the case of John Wayne Gacy , he had close to 30 bodies of the people he killed buried underneath his living room and he never saw any ghosts , he even said " the dead won't bother you , it's the living you have to look out for ".

I am an atheist. When I was a kid, 3 separate times I thought I saw my relatives standing at the end of my bed. First time was my dead adoptive grandmother. Then another time my dead adoptive father. Then another time my very live adoptive mother. All three of those events felt very real and scared the shit out of me. Those "experiences" were spooky and haunted me for years. 

But I know now what was going on in reality. My dream state was concocting images in my head, and my eyes were open so I was projecting those images in front of me, it was a hallucination or what is commonly called "sleep paralysis". It can feel really real, but the truth is that it is not. Ultimately it is your brain doing that to you. It can happen for lots of reasons, trauma, PTSD, depression. Even power of suggestion from watching spooky movies, or being told by others they've seen ghosts or talk to their loved ones. But it is not real one bit. 

People can also have these hallucinations even when wide awake for the same reasons, PTSD, trauma, mental illness, depression, side effects from legal drugs, side effects from illegal drugs, even urinary tract infections can spread throughout the body and reach the brain and really screw up your perception of reality. 

Point is once again, there are far more simple and natural explanations such as health, mental heath, and social input, or a combo of those things that can lead to a very false perception. There is no such thing as the super natural.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can multiple people hallucinate the same thing at the same time ? - by Brian37 - August 19, 2022 at 4:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why groups of people can remember something that didn't happen GrandizerII 4 1610 January 4, 2016 at 7:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the universe." IanHulett 18 7057 February 22, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Rank the top best scientists of all time. Of all time. [so far] Autumnlicious 28 9879 October 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Sir Isaac Newton Time life said he was the greatest scientific thinker of our time franca 2 2302 October 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing. Annik 49 18292 May 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Most intelligent thing to come out of Sarah Palins mouth (until she mentioned God) Napoléon 26 6249 September 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger