Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why groups of people can remember something that didn't happen
Why groups of people can remember something that didn't happen
Quote:"It's not inconceivable that this sort of thing can happen in a group setting," says Wade. "There are many studies showing that when two people witness the same event and discuss it, one person’s memory report can contaminate what the other person subsequently claims to remember. This is called 'memory conformity' in the literature, and it's a very powerful and well-documented effect."
Source:
http://www.sciencealert.com/is-it-possib...n-t-happen
This is just one reason to doubt miracle stories.
RE: Why groups of people can remember something that didn't happen
Isn't it possible that it doesn't work as well with everybody, though? I mean, yeah, sure, generally people can be pretty influenced by their peers, even to such an extent that they don't notice it, but what if you've got someone who's rebellious by nature and will rather get in an argument with the whole group than swallow their lies?
(January 4, 2016 at 5:38 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: Isn't it possible that it doesn't work as well with everybody, though? I mean, yeah, sure, generally people can be pretty influenced by their peers, even to such an extent that they don't notice it, but what if you've got someone who's rebellious by nature and will rather get in an argument with the whole group than swallow their lies?

Sure, that's always a possibility. But even rebels can be be influenced by certain other people's thoughts and ideas (like maybe other fellow rebels?). Rebels don't live in some vacuum on their own.
(January 4, 2016 at 5:42 am)Irrational Wrote:
(January 4, 2016 at 5:38 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: Isn't it possible that it doesn't work as well with everybody, though? I mean, yeah, sure, generally people can be pretty influenced by their peers, even to such an extent that they don't notice it, but what if you've got someone who's rebellious by nature and will rather get in an argument with the whole group than swallow their lies?

Sure, that's always a possibility. But even rebels can be be influenced by certain other people's thoughts and ideas (like maybe other fellow rebels?). Rebels don't live in some vacuum on their own.

No, I know that, of course. I did say "it doesn't work as well", not "it doesn't work at all", to be fair.
It seems people can very easily be convinced to believe what they want to believe, including memories of events.

I've come to the conclusion that this is what faith is: believing what you want to be true, or what you feel must be true, regardless of the availability of reliable evidence.

Memories are terrible evidence. So many times I've been utterly convinced I've remembered something right, to the point where I'd have put lots of money on it, then turned out to have totally misremembered.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can multiple people hallucinate the same thing at the same time ? LazaB 44 4839 August 24, 2022 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Something/nothing/forever and cycles. Brian37 12 963 April 2, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Something Star Trek Missed onlinebiker 44 3468 May 26, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Something to Look Forward To, Perhaps Minimalist 16 3935 May 7, 2018 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Where did science originally come from ? Something Unusual maybe ? Thomas Kelly252525 333 29659 July 9, 2016 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Something that has been on my mind dyresand 24 3395 December 4, 2015 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Who Knows. Might Find Something. Minimalist 10 3343 October 25, 2015 at 2:51 pm
  Something to Look Forward to Minimalist 22 3518 November 12, 2014 at 3:43 pm
  Tell Us Something We Didn't Know Minimalist 23 5007 September 10, 2014 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Science might have found why some people are gay. Gooders1002 9 3657 December 15, 2012 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002