Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the universe."
"Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the universe."
So, I'm watching a video by the Messianic Maniac on youtube:

and the apologist who he's debunking is saying that since the forces of nature created the universe, it predates the universe, and TMM says "Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the universe." is a contradictory statement. Can someone please elaborate? Thx a bunch!
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: "Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the universe."
"empty" universes don't experience time, there being nothing in them for which it to impinge upon.

Therefore, empty universes are unstable and decay into universes that aren't.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: "Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the universe."
If we have a situation where there's time before the "universe, I'd call that already part of the universe by any sensible definition, and thus there's no time before the universe by definition. If time truly starts at some point near the big bang (and I don't think we have good reason to believe that) then there is simply no notion of before whatsoever. The question "what was before the universe" as it is employed by apologists is therefore nonsensical.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Time exists within a continuum. But outside a continuum, other continuums can exist with their 'own time'.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
RE: "Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the univ...
(February 20, 2015 at 3:55 pm)IanHulett Wrote: So, I'm watching a video by the Messianic Maniac on youtube:

and the apologist who he's debunking is saying that since the forces of nature created the universe, it predates the universe, and TMM says "Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the universe." is a contradictory statement. Can someone please elaborate? Thx a bunch!

Dear @IanHulett

1. as for if "nature created the universe" or the " universe always existed and had no creation point" whichever is the ultimate starting point, then the SOURCE/God is defined as that. So if the source of nature/universe has a starting point or source then THAT becomes the new absolute source of all thing.

if you keep repeating this, then God/universe is infinite with no beginning and no end. where whatever "exists before or after that" is then called the higher source that God represents.

this is, of course, symbolic and cannot be proven or disproven:

2. we can theorize till the end of time (we can even reach 100% consensus on what we think happened) and that doesn't prove it
or disprove it one way or the other

We *weren't there* when things were first created or saw that they 'always existed' so this is always faith-based.

God's existence or nonexistence, how the universe was created if it was created, can NEITHER be proven nor disproven.

there is always a possibility it happened another way if it did happen.

we are not ominiscient infallible or infinite in our knowledge
to "know all things" so we cannot know these things for sure.

likewise if you take God to be time that existed before all this,
we can't prove or disprove the existence of that definition either.

3. the main purpose i see to comparing these different timelines or ways of seeing or setting it up hypothetically:
this tells us if someone has a bias toward a tangible starting point or God as a personal figure or creator/author of life
or if someone is biased toward an impersonal view of the universe as always self-existing

this makes a difference when working with people culturally and personally so we can understand how we look at life and humanity, how we look at cause and effect.

we aren't all going to agree on how it was set up.

but we can understand each person's way or group's way of how they see the timeline and then this affects how they relate to us and others in life.

[for example if people see humanity as starting off pure, then getting corrupted, and then RETURNING to the original pure state
that is going to change how we approach correcting people or
problems in life
compared with someone who see things as starting off flawed
and the point is to introduce something new to fix it from an
external change not an internal one.]

so this whole business of time and timelines is to help us understand how people operate who THINK that way. if you never meet anyone who THINKS this way, and it doesn't help you, then use a different way that does. we don't know either way, so each person uses what works for them. and that's why we have so many versions denominations and branches when ALL of these ways attempt to describe the same process in life from different starting points and framework.
RE: "Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the univ...
(February 20, 2015 at 4:14 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Time exists within a continuum. But outside a continuum, other continuums can exist with their 'own time'.

Sure, there's nothing to be said against separate strands of time going their way somwlewhere entirely else in spacetime
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Trying to move God "outside of time" is just another mental defence to make him "science proof" to bolster the argument from ignorance.

Do I really sound like that? I really bore of my drivel sometimes. Well, I have to listen to it all day.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
"Time does not exist outside of the universe", hm. I've been listening to various refutations of the Kalam Argument recently and that's a sentence that keeps popping up. Honestly, I'm not very well informed with cosmology but it always bothered me that deities are these infinite entities. I know I haven't added much to the conversation but maybe looking up refutations of the Kalam Argument may help you.
The Kalam argument is one big calamity - heaps of misguided appeals to "common sense" where it doesn't apply.

(February 20, 2015 at 5:47 pm)Alex K Wrote: The Kalam argument is one big calamity - heaps of misguided appeals to "common sense" where it doesn't apply.
And yet I hear it uttered so often. It's so saddening. And people seem to like to throw a tantrum when it's refuted. Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can multiple people hallucinate the same thing at the same time ? LazaB 44 5086 August 24, 2022 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Something/nothing/forever and cycles. Brian37 12 976 April 2, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Oldest Human Fossil Outside of Africa! chimp3 23 3576 January 26, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Some people believe that gravity doesn't exist notimportant1234 75 10060 October 19, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Leaves Adam And Eve on The Outside Looking In Minimalist 29 4159 June 3, 2017 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Not a good time for humanity, the ai singularity is here MellisaClarke 61 14645 May 23, 2017 at 5:45 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Mythbusters: does God exist KUSA 10 2183 December 9, 2015 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  A universe from nothing Lawrence M. Krauss dyresand 10 4558 February 25, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  What's outside? lifesagift 30 5764 September 7, 2014 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Tobie
  'A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss, AAI 2009 dred-pirate-rob 3 2923 October 27, 2013 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Esquilax