Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 1:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama's church buddies on his new gay marriage stance
RE: Obama's church buddies on his new gay marriage stance
(May 17, 2012 at 3:31 pm)Annik Wrote: I completely disagree with the way you're handling the word itself. They need to be separate, as I mentioned in that post and the only later on. You might have agreed with my basic view, but that does not mean I agree with the way you are using the word. For the purposes for discussion, the blanket term you keep using is not appropriate.

You keep doing this. You have a consistent habit of responding to what I write as if I had written something completely different. It's a bit frustrating.

In the bit you responded to here, I was VERY CLEARLY only talking about the definition you were using. I wasn't saying it was wrong, or that you should be using a different definition, or whatever your skewed view interpreted my words as. You ignored what I wrote and responded by saying that I shouldn't be using my definition, which has absolutely no fucking relation whatsoever to what I wrote. Why do you continue do this? Once I'd understand, but you posted a number of times earlier trying to convince me that we can't control our sexual preferences. Before any of these I had expressly stated that we can't control them, and after each of your blarfs I restated that position. Please, please, please try to respond to the actual words that I write.

Quote:Yes, yes, because you were being so cordial. Hovik is a linguist. He's a bit more qualified to comment on this dictionary thing than either of us. He's right in the fact that dictionaries just report how we use words and are not accurate portrayals to how words should be used. He brought this up and you presented yourself as an ass. He didn't even insult you after that, but just used a strongly worded argument. And then you mocked him like a 5-year-old.

1: I don't care that he is a linguist. Arguments from authority don't hold much weight with me. The fact that he is a linguist does not mean that he was correct when he claimed you were using some special definition of homosexuality or that any other definition than some mythical "medical" definition was insufficient for this conversation.
2: I never stated that dictionaries don't list how words are used or that dictionaries mandate word usage. That would be a poor argument, so I have no idea why both of you mentioned that.
3: As to your portrayal of my conversation with Hovik, I simply have to wonder what you were reading. As usual, you seem to have some interpretation of reality that just doesn't track. If you feel up to saying why calling me an idiot and the other insults he used is not actually insulting me, though, I'd be pleased as punch to hear it. Rationalizations such as that always get me hot. Also, if you could post the bit where I mocked him like a five year old that would also be swell. You really do have some crazy biases skewing your perception of events in this thread.

Quote:You're the one who won't admit to being wrong.

I certainly won't admit to being wrong here, since I'm not. I hate to break your heart, but everyone who disagrees with you is not necessarily wrong, especially when it comes to things like acceptable definitions of words where multiple parties with different views can be correct. If you're under the impression that every view you hold is right, though, and every view your opponents hold is wrong, I certainly won't stop you from believing that. You'll just need to present actual solid arguments that this is the case. I'm eagerly awaiting someone to actually prove me wrong here.

(Really. I love being wrong. It allows me to improve as a person. I don't magically become wrong simply because you say I am, though.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Obama's church buddies on his new gay marriage stance - by Jinkies - May 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: What is your stance on evolution? Agnostic1 118 10035 March 27, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 4182 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  If God's Not An Asshole His Followers Are Minimalist 21 3083 August 13, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Man creates in his own image Foxaèr 7 1100 June 14, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So can god end his own existence? Vast Vision 53 14214 July 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 45205 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Bad Religion: How Trump is warping Christianity for his own gain. Foxaèr 4 1057 February 6, 2017 at 4:47 am
Last Post: GUBU
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 17 3865 November 29, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 18 4051 November 28, 2016 at 8:56 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Religion & Marriage miaharun 6 1820 November 5, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon