Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 3:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The universe appears "old", but it is still less than 10,000 years old
RE: The universe appears "old", but it is still less than 10,000 years old
(October 21, 2013 at 7:56 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:
(October 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm)ThomM Wrote: There is NO question that the earth is far older than 10,000 years
Assertion.
Agreed. This should read: "There is no reasonable basis to question that the earth is far older than 10,000 years"

Quote:
Quote:For those who do not accept modern dating methods - one can prove it by counting Yearly layers in ice core samples
“For those who do not accept modern dating methods I will now appeal to another dating method.”
The dating methods you refer to have been completely vindicated from bullshit YEC accusations and has proven accurate time and time again.

The only "evidence" I've ever been able to find that would indicate the contrary has always been a case of misrepresentation, ignorance and/or a deliberate attempt to deceive

Quote:
Quote: THere is NO possibility that the earth is 10,000 years old - none at all.
Another assertion.
One that fits all available evidence

Quote:
Quote: Knowing that the earth's poles have shifted several times over the years - we know that this is only a partial amount from what would be if they never did.
How do you know this?
Geomagnetic reversal was discovered in the '60's (IIRC) when investigating magnetic anomalies in the ocean floor. It was the discovery that lead to proving plate tectonics.

Quote:This assumes that oceanic saline concentrations were the same as they are now, which would not have been the case.
So when did god create the salt water creatures? I don't remember reading that bit in the bible

Quote:The bible says that only land animals that breathed through nostrils were brought upon the Ark.
Really? What about the insects? If god hates insects so much, why make so bloody many of them?

Sorry, but whole flood story was one of the main things that made me question the bible when I was a child. Even then, the entire premise struck me as being so overwhelmingly ridiculous that it required not faith, but foolishness to believe such a thing. I mean, the logistics alone are absurd.

I can't understand how anyone could believe in a literal interpretation of the bible and expect to be taken seriously. The literal interpretation was rejected in christianity as early as the 3rd century. Origen Adamantius is a prime example, but certainly not the earliest.

That anyone could believe such nowadays is truly staggering.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The universe appears "old", but it is still less than 10,000 years old - by Optimistic Mysanthrope - October 21, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 2068 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 19596 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8579 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1603 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89836 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4089 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1783 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Attended church for the first time in years Aegon 23 1827 August 8, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5698 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Jesus : The Early years chimp3 139 22696 April 1, 2018 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Minimalist