Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus : The Early years
Jesus : The Early years
Much is debated about the authenticity and authorship of the Gospels. For the sake of this argument, let's assume some accuracy in their telling of Jesus's adult ministry. We do not have to argue about eyewitnesses, miracles, resurrections, or ascensions. Let's argue about the life of Jesus before the age of twelve. How did the writers gather this "historical" data?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Jesus : The Early years
Same source of bullshit as his adult ministry, no doubt.
You mean things like how they might have known about a census or that three wise men followed a star?  Or that he was a smart kid?  That his dad was a carpenter?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
12 to 33, the missing years.
I thought he wanted 0-12.  The missing years aren't in the new testament so theres nothing to ask about what the writers knew or how they knew it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 21, 2018 at 7:28 pm)Khemikal Wrote: I thought he wanted 0-12.  The missing years aren't in the new testament so theres nothing to ask about what the writers knew or how they knew it.

Correct! I am looking for 0-12.

I suppose..if we're ignoring all the legend and establishment myth.....we could say that the writers could know of a census the same way we do.  They either had historical data or a memory of it.  Pretty much any incidental can be explained this way.

My particular favorites..though..are places where an author imparts some detail about the time of their writing the story that was not true of the time in which the story is supposed to have taken place. So..that might show that they at least tried to verify the story by reference to then present conditions. They went to a place, for example..and said "Yup, there's a city here so that story is legit" - when..at the time of the story, there wasn't.
(March 21, 2018 at 7:25 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: 12 to 33, the missing years.

John Prine provides a history of the missing years:

In "The Jesus Puzzle" Earl Doherty notes this stance of many biblical scholars.

Quote:In their fervor and distress following the crucifixion, the followers of Jesus scrambled to understand
what had just happened, to interpret the meaning of their Master’s life, to put a name to his role
in God’s plan. They ran to their bibles and began to apply all manner of scriptural passages to
him, especially those looked upon as messianic by the Jewish thinking of the time.

How quaint.  Except it ignores the fact that according to those same silly gospels these disciples were a bunch of illiterate, Aramaic-speaking, dumbasses who not only would have had no chance for reading.comprehending actual Hebrew scriptures but then somehow they managed to turn that into highly literate Greek gospels.  Dismissing the asinine jesus-freak claim of "miracles" which they always manage to trot out, none of this makes any sense at all.
The angel Gabriel visited them in a cave.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do conservative theologians prefer early dating of documents? LinuxGal 3 833 December 9, 2022 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Attended church for the first time in years Aegon 23 1745 August 8, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Paul's "persecution" of the early Christians? Jehanne 134 14710 February 22, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Brazilian woman has spent years praying to Lord of the Rings doll Cyberman 41 5318 January 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Lifespan 1000 years to 80? TubbyTubby 85 9964 May 10, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What were Jesus and early Christians like? watchamadoodle 343 59620 March 15, 2015 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: TimOneill
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7179 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Biblical people living to be over 175 years old Rowan 26 6471 August 19, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Jesus, 2000 years ago vorlon13 23 4026 July 26, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Early Christian motives (a conversation with Paul) Mudhammam 0 1263 July 23, 2014 at 6:22 am
Last Post: Mudhammam