Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 8:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists?
RE: Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists?
(August 12, 2012 at 5:27 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: There is not sound proof of A due in part to the fact there is not sound proof of B.
Just so we're clear, A in this case is the existence of a necessary being and B is the necessity for existence.
Without B, A is meaningless... abit like every statement you've made in response.
Retort with something relevant that proves this wrong or don't retort at all.
You're beginning to bore me with your thinly veiled deflections.

But how do you know that "there is no sound proof of B"? Do you have a proof for that?

This seems like what happens when kooks doing pseudo-math see a proof that sqrt(2) is irrational--"That reasoning can't possibly be valid, even though it's right in front of me and follows directly from axioms of logic! And I know it can't be valid, because there can't be a proof that sqrt(2) is irrational!"

(August 12, 2012 at 5:10 pm)Shell B Wrote: Well, then, CS, you will have to show me where in any of this you found anything that implies anything, because I see no such thing.

Huh. Well, I already posted the results of one particular set of responses, which was a logical argument that from some subset of my responses, the existence of a necessary being must exist. C&S quoted it earlier. Do you want me to repost it? I'd be glad to.

(August 12, 2012 at 11:11 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(August 9, 2012 at 10:31 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Not that I am aware of. However, there are logical arguments which are not mathematical proofs.

I expect that you do not think that math proofs require empirical evidence. Neither do I.

Let's look at the non-mathematical type. Suppose you had an argument that included the proposition "no swans are non-white". To assess the truth value of any conclusion which depended on said proposition, you need to demonstrate the truth of said proposition.

How would you propose to do so without depending on empiricism?

Now do you see the folly in conflating the two?

Perhaps you missed this in your absence.

But none of that has to do with the logic.

1. All swans are black
2. X is a swan
3. Therefore, X is black

...is a perfectly valid argument. The logic doesn't change based on whether (1) and (2) are actually true in our universe. Logic doesn't care about that.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists? - by CliveStaples - August 12, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God exists subjectively? henryp 90 12547 November 21, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: Tonus
  A Necessary Being? TheMuslim 155 15403 September 10, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Necessary Thing Ignorant 204 20841 April 24, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  God exists because we can imagine it Heat 46 7904 December 6, 2015 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Necessary First Principles, Self-Evident Truths Mudhammam 4 1826 July 10, 2015 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What do we do while deciding if free will exists? henryp 57 9872 April 20, 2015 at 9:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  can identical twins have different religious beliefs? ignoramus 16 4071 June 25, 2014 at 9:05 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Necessary Truths Exist Rational AKD 57 20501 December 25, 2013 at 6:39 am
Last Post: Rational AKD
  How did the Universe Come to be? (my beliefs) BrumelyKris 24 6810 October 10, 2013 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  think my beliefs have changed again :S what am I now? Jextin 20 3919 June 18, 2013 at 6:41 am
Last Post: LastPoet