Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can identical twins have different religious beliefs?
can identical twins have different religious beliefs?
Just thinking about genetically identical twins, triplets, etc.
If they are all exposed to the same upbringing, whatever that may be, would they have the same propensity to believe or not believe?

We're all aware of the power of indoctrination (plant the seed before the logical mind has fully evolved).

"Genetic tendency
There is evidence to suggest that some people are more susceptible to developing an addiction although this is not conclusive. This doesn’t mean that the addiction is passed down in their family; rather that their biological make up is hard-wired in such a way that makes them more prone to dependency."

The above quote refers to drug addiction. I wonder if the brain is also hardwired for other things like:being more susceptible to believing, gambling, killing, etc.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: can identical twins have different religious beliefs?
Are beliefs hardwired?

I doubt it, based on my own experience and that of millions of other atheists, that we were indoctrinated in belief and only later pierced the veil. That clearly shows that beliefs can and do change over the course of a lifetime. I think that pretty much kills the essential premise of your question, meaning that the answer is that of course identical twins can have different views on faith -- even given the same upbringing, if we can ask the question at age thirty.

I don't think beliefs are hardwired, per se, but the predisposition to believe may be, the so-called "god gene." It would certainly explain why so many otherwise intelligent people never throw off the shackles of religion even when they are exposed to, or even immersed in, opposing views.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I would be interested for people like No_God and Marsellus Wallace to tell us what their experiences were like with their twins.

I wonder if it's possible for identical twins to have such differing ideas about the possibilities of the supernatural at an early age. My siblings (not twins, mind you) were eager to get involved with the youth cults around where we grew up (Campus Crusade(!), Student Venture, FCA), and I wasn't. My sister dragged me to some events (I would only go to the ones at the beach), but I felt it was fake and stupid. I never really believed in God. Ostensibly, we had the same childhood experiences, we just interpreted them in different ways. Maybe there is something genetically different about me. I don't know. But I wonder if it's possible for identical twins to have the same differences that me and my siblings had, sharing the same genes. Very interesting question.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I've encountered one set of identical twins at 12 Steppers and only the 'alpha' twin was alcoholic. They both went to the meetings, though.
(June 23, 2014 at 8:37 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Just thinking about genetically identical twins, triplets, etc.
If they are all exposed to the same upbringing, whatever that may be, would they have the same propensity to believe or not believe?
No, I don't think so. The butterfly effect will take care of that. There is no such thing as the "same upbringing," as one may stub a toe while the other does not, causing them to experience subsequent moments in different emotional states. On must take the window seat or the aisle seat on the school bus, exposing each to a slightly different perspective on the world, etc.
(June 23, 2014 at 8:37 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Just thinking about genetically identical twins, triplets, etc.

We're all aware of the power of indoctrination (plant the seed before the logical mind has fully evolved).

"Genetic tendency
There is evidence to suggest that some people are more susceptible to developing an addiction although this is not conclusive. This doesn’t mean that the addiction is passed down in their family; rather that their biological make up is hard-wired in such a way that makes them more prone to dependency."

The above quote refers to drug addiction. I wonder if the brain is also hardwired for other things like:being more susceptible to believing, gambling, killing, etc.

The key is how same are their upbringing? Even if they have similar upbringing, there could still be chaotic differences in outcome thanks to seemingly minor differences in their experiences.

They may date different people. They may go to different schools and therefore associate with different people, etc.

I would say perhaps identical twins are less likely to have different religious beliefs than fraternal twins raised in comparably similar environment (as somehow assessed) but they certainly still can have different religious beliefs.
My first wife (a great woman, an excellent mother, and still a good friend of mine) is an identical twin who was born into a Catholic family. She (my ex) is a devout Catholic - her identical twin sister is not.

They are both equally hot and both liked to party when we were all younger Wink Shades
(June 24, 2014 at 12:31 am)ShaMan Wrote: My first wife (a great woman, an excellent mother, and still a good friend of mine) is an identical twin who was born into a Catholic family. She (my ex) is a devout Catholic - her identical twin sister is not.

They are both equally hot and both liked to party when we were all younger Wink Shades

Why is she your ex then?
Isn't that a rather personal question?
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jellyfish have no brain - can they feel pain? Duty 9 926 September 24, 2022 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 8671 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  How is a personal god different from an anthropomorphic god? Pizza 36 5924 January 1, 2016 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Pizza
  Illogical things can be real, like God, I have an idea orlox 30 7213 February 4, 2014 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  How did the Universe Come to be? (my beliefs) BrumelyKris 24 6736 October 10, 2013 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  think my beliefs have changed again :S what am I now? Jextin 20 3896 June 18, 2013 at 6:41 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Rosenberg's Argument Against Beliefs Neo-Scholastic 29 14550 April 23, 2013 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists? CliveStaples 124 47057 August 29, 2012 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves
  Properly basic beliefs. (Reformed Epistemology) theVOID 13 7534 December 29, 2010 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Stempy