Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 1:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
RE: For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
(March 30, 2013 at 1:27 am)FallentoReason Wrote: My point is that we have clear examples of fabrications by the early Christians, yet none of you are capable of accepting this fact, as you demonstrated with the post before this one.

It doesn't matter if 100 hearsay accounts had recorded it, why, because the OT doesn't claim any such thing. It's a clear indication of Christians mistranslating the OT which inevitably exposes the whole thing as a fabrication.

Woah, slow down. Let me see if I can state your argument. You're saying that there are clear fabrications by early Christians and the virgin birth described by Matthew is one of them. Your argument, as close as I can come to:
1) The old Hebrew Isaiah 7:14 uses the word almah, making the translation "Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a [young woman] shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."
2) Matthew in 1:23 writes “The virgin [parthenos] will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel.”
3) almah "young woman" and parthenos "virgin" have two entirely different meanings
C) Matthew purposely mistranslated Isaiah's words.
The trouble here is you're using inductive reasoning-- you don't have all the information. Matthew did not translate from the Hebrew Old Testament. He used the Septuagint, or Greek Old Testament. It is the Septuagint, not Matthew, that swaps parthenos for almah and shifts the meaning. And I would guess that these 2nd century BC Jews (who predated Jesus) had good reason for making the translation. Meanings of words evolve over time. Now I'm speculating, but in ancient Jewish times "young woman" had always entailed the woman being a virgin. Therefore, translators decided to transliterate the word in order to preserve its intended meaning over its literal meaning. Even if you disagree, it is clear that Matthew harbored no dishonest intentions.

If I misinterpreted your thoughts, please state your argument. You merely asserted "we have clear examples of fabrications... yet none of you are capable of accepting this fact" and kind of left me out to dry. We may not be engaging in formal debate, but if you want to get any of your words across (and I hope that is their goal) you must communicate effectively. Write for your reader, not for yourself. That way you'll at least have the appearance of open-mindedness. If you don't intend to convince me, why post replies at all? Convincing requires evidence. Provide some. What other "clear fabrications" do you have up your sleeve?

(March 30, 2013 at 1:27 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Also consider Paul's epistles which were written first; he mentions Jesus being "born of a woman". Nowhere does he say "born of Mary the Virgin" which once again exposes the Gospels as being at odds with the rest of the Bible.
"At odds" is a strong misuse of words. "Lacks explicit accordance with" is more accurate. While Paul did not specifically mention the virgin birth, his doctrine fits like a glove. He writes that Jesus "though existing in the form of God" emptied himself and took on human form, "being made in the likeness of humankind" (Philippians 2:6-7). He says further "though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich" (2 Corinthians 8:9). He has to be referring here, metaphorically, to the "riches" of Jesus' pre-existence with God, since all our sources have Jesus born of a poor peasant family. Paul also writes "In the fullness of time God sent forth his Son, made of a woman . . ." (Galatians 4:4), referring only to Mary, ignoring the usual way of naming a son by his father. The implication of these texts is that Jesus' mother was merely the human receptacle for bringing Jesus into the world. It is not a far step from these ideas about Jesus' pre-existence to the notion of Jesus as the first-begotten Son of God--eliminating any necessity for a human father. The virgin birth is necessary to God's triune nature, but not so important that every Christian have the facts repeated to them. Recall that Paul mentions few other Gospel events. His letters are meant to be accompaniments to the eyewitness accounts that were already circulating. They addressed practical issues within the church, and focused almost exclusively on Jesus' death and resurrection and what that victory means for us. Paul even professes, "I'm not even worthy to be called an apostle," (1 Cor 15:9) drawing a line between he, who persecuted the church, and the disciples who personally knew and followed Jesus. He preached only what had been revealed to him, as 15:3 states, "I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me." In short, 1) Paul's teaching on God's nature welcomes the virgin birth; 2) Joseph is never mentioned; and 3) Paul didn't feel it was his place, nor necessary, to discuss the virgin birth.

(March 30, 2013 at 2:07 am)Minimalist Wrote: Learn about Marcion.... but try to absorb what this is saying.

http://www.marcion.info/
The website's argument seems to be that Marcion is the first, largest canon in its time, so therefore it predates all the Gospels and letters it contains (correct me if I'm wrong). But it overlooks the dozens of quotes by early church fathers of other Gospels and letters. Christians had already circulated and accepted much that Marcion did not include: http://www.biblequery.org/Bible/BibleCan...rences.htm
If you wish to read more about your latest conspiracy theory: http://www.bible.ca/b-canon-canon-of-marcion.htm

Messages In This Thread
RE: For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus - by Undeceived - March 30, 2013 at 4:08 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 575 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There will be fewer "cousin" stories in the future, I think. Gawdzilla Sama 0 513 December 15, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Caesar's Messiah by Joseph Atwill - what do people think Send4Seneca 28 2648 August 24, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  What do moderates think Jesus died for? Der/die AtheistIn 119 11116 January 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5578 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20420 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2237 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Is people being violent until they find Jesus a common occurance? ReptilianPeon 27 5289 November 12, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 110343 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Question Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? Razzle 34 7705 May 22, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Drich