Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 10:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument from perpetual identity against naturalism.
RE: Argument from perpetual identity against naturalism.
(March 19, 2013 at 8:39 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I just wanted to make a remark on my original argument. I'm not arguing you cannot philosophically rationalize or justify perpetual identity (although I believe from what I've read over the subject that you can't), it's that most of humanity from the past till now, would not know on that basis, but rather can only know in properly basic manner.

Also, I said I cannot prove that most of humanity knows it, it's another properly basic faith I have about humanity through my own experience.

In that sense, I haven't proven the conclusion. But as far as the boat thing goes, I see it irrelevant to perpetual identity, because from my perspective even if you did 180 degrees change in personality, you are still that same person from the past. And I stated if it was similarity of construct that makes us same identity, then we would be same identity with other humans with similar construct. Therefore I feel the boat paradox is irrelevant.

This doesn't make the argument weak, because a lot of people may agree on both premises and feel they know them or have faith in them.
-bolding mine
Which is precisely what you're doing, when you conclude that you are the "same" person as you were ten years ago.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Argument from perpetual identity against naturalism. - by The Grand Nudger - March 19, 2013 at 9:15 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1892 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] An Argument Against Hedonistic Moral Realism SenseMaker007 25 3135 June 19, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argument against Intelligent Design Jrouche 27 3250 June 2, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8237 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14015 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68863 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Your position on naturalism robvalue 125 16979 November 26, 2016 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  2 Birds, 1 Stone: An argument against free will and Aquinas' First Way Mudhammam 1 1155 February 20, 2016 at 8:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is personal identity really just mind? Pizza 47 6784 February 14, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Presumption of naturalism Captain Scarlet 18 3618 September 15, 2015 at 10:49 am
Last Post: robvalue