Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 10:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith
RE: 3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith
(April 11, 2013 at 5:15 am)smax Wrote: Of course I didn't experience "rivers of living water". LOL.

Neither have you, although I don't doubt that you think you have.

So you know what everybody else has experienced with absolute certainty? You are simply wrong and should I decide to tell you my experience, you would know you were wrong.

Quote:By that logic, all I have to do is write my own book claiming the Bible writers are all liars. With that, the burden will be on you to prove that I am a liar.

One way of avoiding your responsibility I suppose. So I guess all libel trials are fundamentally unjust? Right

Quote:All joking and sarcasm aside, if you just take a second and think about the argument you are making, you'd quickly realize that it's fundamentally flawed.

Lots of stories have been writen about lots of things relating to god and religion, and many of those things are not consistent with, and do not promote, Christianity. Sense everything that has ever been written cannot all be true, than the only logical course of action is to challenge the validity of any supernatural claims.

Fine. Just use fair-minded logic as Will Durant did.

Quote:That is some great parenting advice. Before your kids are even born, hold them in contempt, alienate them, and refuse to communicate with and guide them. In other words, take no parental responsibility whatsoever.

Major straw man

Quote:Dude, Islam offers 72 virgins for martyrdom! Nothing in the Bible can even come close to competing with that. Don't even embarass yourself by trying to come up with something.

Which would fully explain why you don't want to be a Christian, and proof would do you no good.

Quote:John Locke was a great man, but he obviously did not believe every word of the New Testament, as many of his theories and views were of secular influence. His take on religion as it relates to government:

(1) Earthly judges, the state in particular, and human beings generally, cannot dependably evaluate the truth-claims of competing religious standpoints;

(2) Even if they could, enforcing a single "true religion" would not have the desired effect, because belief cannot be compelled by violence;

(3) Coercing religious uniformity would lead to more social disorder than allowing diversity.
Quote:Did you not know what happened when "reason" was worshipped during the French Revolution? What atrocities occurred? (Called Voltaire's war by some, and a true bloodbath)

You dont' get that Locke could be a Christian and say those things??? Did you read his "The Reasonableness of Christianity"? Obviously not and you don't get what he was about, clearly

Quote:The Age of Reason, as it is referred to, followed the Age of Faith, also known as the Dark Ages.

Naturally, the people just being freed of religious oppression and bondage,

Yes, entirely by Christians like the first Luthrens, Methodists and Quakers. Like I said Voltaire was justifying slavery at the exact time Wesley was calling it the scourge of the earth.

Quote:had a bad taste in their mouths, and wanted to rid the world of religion altogether.

ROFLOL Oh my God, you are just deluded. Only Paine actually said anything like that, and Adams called him a "Blackgard" for saying so.

No they wanted to get rid of the religious bathwater and keep the Baby.

Quote:By the way, I love how you completely ignore the part religion played in all of this.

Oh no I get that. I just don't think in black and white as you do. It's not either all good or all bad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith - by radorth - April 11, 2013 at 10:45 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 1050 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13555 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11969 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Bible talked in circles at start Ketzer 19 1908 January 3, 2022 at 12:05 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4593 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6475 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4434 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  South Dakota Schools required to have "In God We Trust" on their walls Cecelia 16 1795 July 29, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7925 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 886 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist