Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 9:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombs Go Off at Finish Line of Boston Marathon
RE: Bombs Go Off at Finish Line of Boston Marathon
(April 16, 2013 at 6:07 am)Tiberius Wrote: There are no "right" places for a bomb.

Always a right place for a bomb. Very goal-dependent. Anyway, I'm with min here: media dependent, and 'soft'.

Either way, there are probably better targets for what they'd like (I certainly believe there are from every standpoint I'm seeing)... so I'd say it's either sowing chaos for fun, or it's zealotry.

Possibly both Skunk

(April 16, 2013 at 4:37 am)Justtristo Wrote: I firmly suspect this is Jihadi activity, they are the sort to say poison water supplies. I accept that a lot of extreme right wingers in the USA are insane, however there are Jihadis who are even more insane.

I know this is exactly the sort of shit I'd be hoping for people to think Heart Anonymous bombing is really fun sounding... I just hope I'm never in a position where I feel it's the best use of my time.

You think these crazy people are the only ones who would consider bombing a cumulative mass of people... I think that's crazy. Smile

(April 16, 2013 at 6:33 am)pocaracas Wrote: yes there are: mines, blast rock and get to the goodies.
But I get your meaning! Wink

Savages... you should molecularly deconstruct the matter, send it through an accelerator, and collect it pure Smile

(April 16, 2013 at 7:39 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: STILL

Are we any closer to Who planted these devices and Why?
Sympathies to those hurt/ injured and condolences to hose who lost loved ones. Undecided

I know I'd either plant evidence upon some poor schmuck, or leave it up in their air, possibly with something incriminating for another poor schmuck.

Don't get me wrong... I hope that they find the right character. It's the likely failure to do so that concerns me. Not largely, since it's a feather in the cap of the artist... but even if it's a good play, it's still a sad happening should an innocent person or persons be prosecuted 'successfully'.

Quote:Personal hypothesis is that this is a disgruntled local..... I mean really ... on Patriots Day?

Bigger headlines on holidays. Patriot's Day + boston marathon sounds enticing for an impatient person.

(April 16, 2013 at 9:03 am)Faith No More Wrote: I'll never understand what drives people to commit such a cowardly act.

Pray tell, what is cowardly about having the stones to bomb a ton of people? I mean... not taking credit for it might be cowardly... but the bombing itself takes a small measure of gall.

What, would you rather they go in guns blazing? If bravery is stupidity, I'll take cowardice just about every time.

And for those other times, it's a last desperate attempt... if it doesn't pan out: it wasn't going to anyway Levitate

(April 16, 2013 at 7:42 am)A Theist Wrote: Some news reports are still asserting that a person of interest is being guarded in a hospital with severe burns...who just happens to be a Saudi national here on a student visa...

How much setup time would they have had, then?

No idea how stringent boston security is, but for so many explosives to have gone undetected until the explosion (not at an 'ideal' time unless they were targeting a specific person, but seems a pointless expenditure for doing that)... there are two options: the bomber(s) had unobserved setup, or the bomber(s) were very effective at remaining undetected while carrying live explosives.

Anyways, I don't buy it. One bomber for three explosions and (reported) several non-detonations? Hard to move effectively in the panic after the first bomb goes off... but if only one of them was a controlled detonation, I could see it.

Granted... I'm impressed the others didn't go off well before the race if they were uncontrolled.

(April 16, 2013 at 7:06 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Did you guys hear about a big ass 7.8 Richter scale earthquake that rattled Iran and killed 45 people, left hundreds injured and thousands homeless?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22168202

Surprised it killed so few. Happily surprised, mind you. Smile

(April 16, 2013 at 12:48 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I believe that guy was questioned and cleared by the FBI. Given that the explosives are thought to be either on a timer or activated remotely, it would be pretty stupid for the attacker(s) to stand in the vicinity when they went off.

Blending in with a crowd is pretty easy. Actually... standing a 'safe' distance away and then rushing in and 'helping' afterwards is probably the smartest bet in warding away suspicion.

After all, it's the profile they wouldn't expect from a terrorist. Wouldn't recommend doing it multiple times... would draw suspicion to yourself. Vary the tactics... and especially your presentation.

But yeah... it's pretty stupid to stand within the radius of the explosion. Or I would use a different term: poorly calculated. It's possible the bomber underestimated their bomb's strength, of course... nobody is perfect Tiger

(April 16, 2013 at 12:52 pm)festive1 Wrote: Unless they were excited to go to heaven and receive their virgins…
I really don't care who did this or why, well, maybe a little, if only to see if a more peaceful resolution can be found. I really just want them to be found and justice to be served. Killing innocent people is never right, no matter how one twists and turns.

How can there be justice for killing? Thinking

Killing innocent people can be right, very situational. Just like stabbing the back of a long-time friend.

Not that morals don't have some doing stupidity, of course Tongue

(April 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm)frankiej Wrote: It is a shame and all, but what I don't get is why do the BBC and other news programs here have this as their main headline? When a bomb kills countless more in the middle east, it gets shoved to the arse end of the news. A life is a life, regardless of where it is lost. It is still an awful thing to have happened, but lil' things like that tic me off.

Because lives are valued differently in different places, and the lives of certain people are valued more than others.

Would not you be more irate if your best friend were brutally and slowly murdered than if some random hooker in indonesia got shot dead during a gang fight?

Quote:Anyway, would it be insensitive of me to post some jokes? I have thought of quite a few. Tongue

It would absolutely be insensitive. All the more reason for it, no? Devil
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bombs Go Off at Finish Line of Boston Marathon - by Violet - April 16, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 1078 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Theresa May seen off the coast of Blackpool Cod 0 330 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Cod
  Propheting off dead kids. Gawdzilla Sama 15 1346 May 23, 2018 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Will Piss Off Sessions Minimalist 0 385 May 14, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Little Marco Mouths Off. Accidentally Tells The Truth Minimalist 3 687 May 1, 2018 at 10:30 pm
  Third parties profiting off of poor outcomes for patients....in AMERICA!? Aegon 23 3519 April 28, 2018 at 5:41 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Help PISS OFF Mike <---dickface Pence! Brian37 14 2854 March 27, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Why Don't You Go Jump Off A Bridge Minimalist 5 1658 March 25, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Joods
  The Republicunts Go Off The Deep End Minimalist 5 1357 March 24, 2018 at 8:18 pm
  In the Line of Duty A Theist 98 11715 February 13, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Amarok