Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 1:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do non-fundamentalist Christians actually believe?
RE: What do non-fundamentalist Christians actually believe?
(June 26, 2016 at 5:15 pm)Rendition99 Wrote:
Quote:Now I cite Bible scholars as the authority on the Bible all the time. What I find interesting here is that many members think they are all biased by their religious beliefs - which is true don't get me wrong, but did you know a large number of Christian scholars do not believe in a supernatural resurrection for example? They're still Christians, they still believe in Christianity, but they believe that Jesus either died and was buried never to return, or that if he did leave the tomb alive that he was laid there alive (which is well possible given our modern understanding of mortality). So there are actually Christians with views well outside of orthodoxy, and those who are top scholars.

I never knew this, thanks for that information. 

I suppose by definition one needs only to be a follower of Christ, whether or not they believe that he was resurrected, in the way that others follow Mohammed (PBUH) or The Bhuddas.

I didn't know it until recently either. Most Scholars, that are professionals, keep their beliefs to themselves. They aren't into proselytising or professing their faith. There are some exceptions of course, but most who do that fall into the category of apologetics. And that's where you see scholars that quite literally defy the evidence, and they're the ones that get used and quoted in Biblical commentaries for examples (where you will see such things as "many scholars do not feel this is historical, but those arguments are from people that deny the divinity/power of Jesus/god, etc"). What's really telling is when Evangelical scholars tell you that something is not right, one really great example is Dan Wallace who will maintain that the LXX, and therefore also the Matthean, translation/s of Isaiah 7:14 are wrong. You can't find a scholar more Evangelical or more Apologetic than him, and even he says that Matthew's translation of Is 7:14 is wrong!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do non-fundamentalist Christians actually believe? - by Aractus - June 27, 2016 at 12:04 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1247 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] fact finding mission for non-Christians tackattack 52 4388 March 7, 2019 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are there any Christians here who believe in zombies? Jehanne 41 4985 February 1, 2019 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8081 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Lol the bible is actually ok with pedophilia, proof from passage Rarieo 80 23762 July 29, 2017 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Do christians believe in Witchcraft? Cecelia 55 14995 June 25, 2017 at 1:39 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Lyle Jeffs, Fundamentalist Mormon Breeding Colony Finance Wizard ARRESTED !!! vorlon13 6 2216 June 17, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  A quarter of British Christians do not believe in the resurection downbeatplumb 35 6908 April 14, 2017 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Christianity actually condones murder Rolandson 50 10308 January 21, 2017 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Catholicism would actually be the most likely controlled Christianity Rolandson 10 2058 January 1, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Redoubtable