Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 4:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did little old us ever take the measure of unimaginably stupendous God?
RE: How did little old us ever take the measure of unimaginably stupendous God?
(July 28, 2015 at 2:27 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(July 28, 2015 at 11:38 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Do you recall my arguments (proofs from my point of view) regarding the nature of God when I was a Deist?

As I recall, you would argue that certain prior conditions would be necessary for what we know as the universe today to exist.  Only God could provide those prior conditions.  Therefore God.
Those are arguments for a Creator, for example an argument for a creator is that consciousness if solely materially created is so complicated that to get there you would need many complex steps, yet there has to be a step from non-consciousness to consciousness because of how vastly different it is between the two states (ie. it's not like white to black with shades of grey). This put's a paradox where many steps are needed at the same time one step has to happen (ie. the shift from one state to the other). Like wise, other arguments I've presented to prove a Creator. The purpose of this thread is obviously not to argue those but how do we know God's attributes.

Arguments for just a Creator, do not prove a god or God as in capital G. All it does prove a Creator.  Spiritual knowledge also doesn't necessarily prove God. For example seeing you are a soul, all it tells you is spiritual non-material existence exists. It doesn't tell you the attributes of the Creator.
So do you remember arguments I've made for "God", and not just a Creator? And do you remember also the discussion on if God exists, why it's not logical to assume he couldn't give us knowledge of himself?

Messages In This Thread
RE: How did little old us ever take the measure of unimaginably stupendous God? - by MysticKnight - July 28, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suffer the little children to come unto me LinuxGal 2 649 August 7, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 898 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why did God get rid of the Trilobites? Jehanne 41 3006 October 24, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 4262 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3565 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 9901 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1171 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  My take on Christianity - Judaism - Islam Mystic 32 6683 November 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 8010 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If you're pro-life, how far do you take that? robvalue 147 13928 August 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady