Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 8:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What pissed you off the most when debating against theism?
RE: What pissed you off the most when debating against theism?
Numbered list only to separate them clearly. They're really in no particular order.

1. That stupid "Doesn't believe in god/hates him anyway" meme. It's perfectly reasonable to take issue with fictional characters, especially when the other party thinks they're real.

I made this analogy before, but I know Miss Havisham isn't real, but that doesn't preclude me from talking about her fictional actions and attitudes. Because she's a terrible fictional person, much like god.

2. How they conflate the claim (the bible) for being evidence of the claim. The bible is not evidence of itself, period.

3. How the bible is this great book, but it can only be properly understood by having supplemental information, which, not coincidentally, makes the really heinous shit in there slightly less heinous. Which is complete bullshit. A well written document, let alone a supposedly divinely inspired one, should be complete. It shouldn't rely on external information in order to explain what it's really trying to say.

4. How apologists repeat the same assertions-as-arguments over and over and over and over... as though repetition somehow bolsters what they're trying to push.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Messages In This Thread
RE: What pissed you off the most when debating against theism? - by KevinM1 - September 20, 2015 at 10:59 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4472 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 8110 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2150 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 36026 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1943 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1934 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 2179 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1539 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative? Captain Hook 324 34070 March 21, 2018 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 25826 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule