Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative?
What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative?
Hi Friends 

I hope this is the right sub-forum. I'm currently in a Christian apologetics class, and I have been assigned a project. I need to find a non or "ex" Christian and ask them what the most significant intellectual issue they find in the Christian narrative. Would anyone be willing to help me out with this? 

You would simply state the most important issue that discredits Christianity as a rational position, whatever it might be, and then I will prepare a Christian response to whatever objection you raise and send it to you. You would then read it and send me back a short paragraph or so (or more) detailing your response to whatever I've written. If you are willing to do this, then either post your issue below or pm me. It would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!
RE: What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative?
Supernaturalism is a nonstarter for me.
RE: What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative?
There's not really one ultimate issue that most keeps me from accepting the Christian narrative. It's a lot of things, really.

But I'll play along and mention just one of many major issues:

Divine hiddenness ... or shall I say, divine quietness.

All this apologetic talk about God being this and that, and acting like you know he's real, and yet a not a hiss from your deity. It's all you guys talking, that's all.
Are we supposed to be extra-nice here...

...or here? https://atheistforums.org/forum-11.html
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I wouldn't know where to start.

How about, why is there an Hell in NT, but not in OT? AFAIK, in OT people simply died - there's no mention of Hell in OT, it isn't until NT that Hell is introduced. This inconsistency comes off as sloppy work by a supposedly perfect god.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(February 22, 2018 at 9:05 pm)c172 Wrote: Are we supposed to be extra-nice here...

...or here? https://atheistforums.org/forum-11.html

Over there. The coals and pincers may be applied here. :nods:

To the OP- go read the bible. No, really. Read a bunch. Which version are you going to pick as your...*ahem*...factual version? Go look up the history of hell, and, for bonus points, look up the origin of confession in the Roman Catholic Church (RCC). Oh, wait, while this isn't intellectual, how about you go look at the massive land grab and forced divorces of RCC priests? I'm not going to give you points if I have to tell you where to look. Pumping the "enemy" is going to provide "biased" information for your cause. Rolleyes But I found this all before I left that RCC shit behind.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Jew Zombies.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Why do you suppose that your invisible man in the sky is any more real than all the others which the human imagination has concocted over the centuries?
OP: That you/Christians can't prove to my satisfaction that god exists in reality. Real proof. Not the bible, not testimony, not argument (apologetics). 

Until that time your god, along with all of the other gods throughout history, remains a human made fantasy of the mind. Belief that the fantasy is real is delusion.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Trying to count how many times I've seen the "I have a class and have to write a paper" ploy. If there was a god, one would hope it would be a little more original with its propaganda come ons.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 3241 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35290 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5334 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 6984 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My biggest issue with theists DodosAreDead 73 11455 August 5, 2018 at 12:55 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Which atheists do you find the most annoying? Whateverist 126 18582 November 18, 2015 at 9:15 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Religious Rules that bother you the most Cecelia 47 6858 November 4, 2015 at 6:16 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What pissed you off the most when debating against theism? strawberryBacteria 26 6748 September 20, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Accepting the inevitable Longhorn 42 8713 August 17, 2015 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Iroscato
Video Most ignorant thing a Christian has told you Mental Outlaw 64 10716 March 1, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01