Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?"
What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?"
When people tell me this I reply y saying "what god?" as there are many. I wonder if there is a better argument.

Also what do you say when people say they believe because they "feel God", so it is the "right religion"?
RE: What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?"
(April 29, 2021 at 6:20 pm)Macoleco Wrote: When people tell me this I reply y saying "what god?" as there are many. I wonder if there is a better argument.

Also what do you say when people say they believe because they "feel God", so it is the "right religion"?
1. You can't make yourself believe something you don't really believe. You'll simply wind up trapping yourself in a state of cognitive dissonance.

2.If there is no god you have lived a lie and wasted your devotion on a falsehood and worst still you have possibly led others down that same path.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Believing in things you cannot prove leads to other faulty, damaging thinking. You want to always maintain a critical and skeptical mind because it will lead you to act on other things based on the best information you have available. Believing in god robs you of this rational defense.

Believing in a personal god robs you of yourself. If a god that always listens to your internal thoughts, thus robbing you of your sense of privacy in your own head, the one thing that is truly ours and not taken away by others. You'll always feel violated and watched and judged for your thoughts.

If it's a personal god that "speaks" to you through emotions, like a burning busom, or by intuitive thoughts and inspiration, it robs you of the ability to recognize the language of your own mind and being able to recognize and analyze your own emotions. These are crucial things to maintaining emotional and mental health, being able to "hear" yourself from the inside. Attributing those things to a god invading and influencing you erases your ability to take responsibility for your own creativity and emotions.

Believing in a god makes you arrogant and prideful. Because you believe you are deserving of special, divine attention.

(April 29, 2021 at 6:20 pm)Macoleco Wrote: When people tell me this I reply y saying "what god?" as there are many. I wonder if there is a better argument.

If they are not thinking humans but impulsive beasts, then we would have expected no better of them. 

Do they want us to expect better of them or are they content being impulsive beasts in human skins?
What do you lose by believing there's a ferocious tiger outside your door?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Credibility?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Besides 10% of my income?  The satisfaction of thinking for myself.
Well considering most have an eternal punishment for not picking their faith I'd say a better question is what do I have to gain?

Luckily for me I have the one true faith. RAmen
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Belief doesn’t simply have an on/off switch. I can no more start believing in God than I can stop believing in France (not for lack of trying).

I’m sure a fix ‘feels right’ to a heroin addict, it doesn’t mean heroin is good for him.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I lose nothing, except indulging in silly wish fulfillment nonsense.

Don't tell Santa this is what I really think.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 6438 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is my argument against afterlife an equivocation fallacy? FlatAssembler 61 2487 June 20, 2023 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 12088 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  My Almighty VS your argument against it Won2blv 43 3682 May 5, 2022 at 9:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 14425 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against Evil-lution no one 19 3409 January 5, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Evidence for Believing Lek 368 49134 November 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Best argument for Atheism in my view Kimoev 29 3850 September 5, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Vince
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 6981 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1934 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon