Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 2:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam
RE: refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam
Quote:I found that women can be sent to hell with their husbands if the husbands are wrong-doers:

37:22-23
Bring ye up", it shall be said, "The wrong-doers and their wives, and the things they worshipped besides Allah, and lead them to the Way to the (Fierce) Fire!
it says they worshipped besides Allah

Quote:The bold part is subject to interpretation as for the translation, I found 3 other english translations: "treat them kindly", "treat them honourably", "consort with them in kindness". I also found 2 French translations and 1 German with no mention of "equity" at all. Your translation seems to be minor.
ok the arabic words are so rich only one word can have different meaning so when translating to english you must really choose the words to be close to the original meaning i usually use abdallah yusuf ali as he have the best understanding of the arabic words and if its not clear he clarify it between brackets

Quote:That is the "light" version of this verse, and you forgot to quote the next sentence: "Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient"
there is nothing called light translation but i try to choose the one that are close to the arabic word because the usage of some words in arabic can give more meanings than the english the verse you quoted is referring to them being obedient to Allah
Quote:4:34 "and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard.", "and guard in the husband's absence what Allah orders them to guard (e.g. their chastity, their husband's property)"
lol that doesnt mean guard the house it means themselves its referring to not cheat on the husband
Quote:I also found:
2:227-228
And if they have resolved on a divorce, then Allah is surely Hearing, Knowing.
And the divorced women should keep themselves in waiting for three courses; and it is not lawful for them that they should conceal what Allah has created in their wombs, if they believe in Allah and the last day; and their husbands have a better right to take them back in the meanwhile if they wish for reconciliation; and they have rights similar to those against them in a just manner, and the men are a degree above them, and Allah is Mighty, Wise.
"and they have rights similar to those againest them in a just manner and the men are a degree above them" by reading in the context it means that have a more degree in responsibility not in rights

Quote:So you're aknowledging that men and women are not equal in the Qur'an.
they are equal but not identical they have different resposibilities
Quote:5-inheritance:
Inheritence is so complicated in islam so that it assure justice to everyone but always the young generation is taking more percentage(wether male or female) sometimes man take more than woman,woman take more than a man,sometimes they are equal. and in some situations the girl gets a share and the man get nothing(if I start explaining different situations it will take a lot of time so u can search it or u can ask me later I will answer it in details)
There are three verses in the Quran that broadly describe the share of close relatives chapter 4 verses 11, 12 and 176 if it still not clear i will give you the situation where the man doesnt inherit and the woman does in details

Quote:Inheritance seems pretty self-explanatory on the contrary:

4:11 Allah chargeth you concerning (the provision for) your children: to the male the equivalent of the portion of two females, and if there be women more than two, then theirs is two-thirds of the inheritance, and if there be one (only) then the half.
there is something i want to add as in case of two children the man get doubles the woman as he has to pay dawery when getting marriage and she recieves dowery which are probably similar amounts i see that is really fair

Quote:I don't buy your explanation on men's responsibilities for financial stuff. It doesn't excuse the fact that a woman's testimony is half worth of a man's.
And if it really were so that men deals with financial stuff and are knowledgable about it and the women are not so knowledgable about it then no women testimony would be taken into account at all, or at the very least should count very few, the 1 for 2 figure comes out of nowhere in 2:282 and has no logical justification.
i mentioned another cases where the men testimony not taken

Quote:And it's not just for financial stuff according to a hadith by Abu Said Al-Khudri :
The Prophet said, "Isn't the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?" The women said, "Yes." He said, "This is because of the deficiency of a woman's mind."
mind not brain its not talking about smartesness its because women are more emotional but still in some cases 4 men witnesses are needed not only 2
"
Quote:there is no compulsion in religion"; but disbelievers will burn hell .... what a choice !
Also, how do you reconcile 2:256 with this:
thats not compulsion that punishment by Allah
Quote:24:30-31
Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.
And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.
(And what is up with the slave owning being OK in this verse ????)
its not ok but in this time there was a lot of people still having slaves i think my next thread will be about how islam ended slavery
Quote:Also, how do you reconcile 4:34 with the declaration of human rights ????
check previous posts regarding this issue
Quote:I think the Islam's problem is not only that some muslims ignore certain verses or interpret them in a bad way, it is mainly that the meaning of ancient arabic words is uncertain and that there is no consensus about it.
its really certain but when translating to english in sometimes you cant translate to only one word you have to write a whole explanation for the meaning so my advice that you get Quran with commentary
Quote:[I used in this post translations of the Qur'an by: Muhammad Habib Shakir, Abdullah Yusuf Ali, Muhammad Pickthal, Mohsin Khan, André Chouraqui, and other translations whose author I can't find.]
i use the arabic Quran with translation of abdallah yusuf ali as i see he is the closest to the arabic words
even without commentary and i really dont know about the others but i have read some bad translations
Quote:(I really need to sleep now, it's 6am here...zzzz....I'll check answers in 10 hours.)
the last thing
“O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things)”.(quran 49:13)
this is the base in any form of relation between any human beings
Smile ok good night and i am really happy of the way you search in religion as i think this is the right way to know about religion and i hope to see you in all my threads and if you want to read more about women in islam there is an article that could help you:http://www.islamfortoday.com/womensrightsbadawi.htm
also:http://www.jannah.org/genderequity/
i also hope you checked my first thread why i believe in islam i would like to hear your opinion in that thread also

Messages In This Thread
RE: refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam - by bozo - May 29, 2010 at 6:39 pm
RE: refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam - by ARMS - May 31, 2010 at 7:42 pm
RE: refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam - by ARMS - June 2, 2010 at 5:29 pm
RE: refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam - by ARMS - June 3, 2010 at 7:05 am
RE: refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam - by mo3taz3nbar - June 6, 2010 at 4:27 am
RE: refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam - by Violet - June 12, 2010 at 12:53 am
RE: refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam - by Dotard - June 14, 2010 at 11:23 pm
RE: refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam - by Dotard - June 17, 2010 at 12:46 am
RE: refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam - by annatar - June 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm
RE: refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam - by annatar - June 23, 2010 at 10:07 am
RE: refuting misconceptions:1-women in Islam - by Dotard - June 23, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Women-Life-Freedom Movement in Iran Leonardo17 69 6417 April 7, 2023 at 7:22 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  The most stupid misconceptions about Islam R00tKiT 123 15776 October 22, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Quranic Reflection]: The tranquillity men find in women and women find in men WinterHold 62 8278 October 22, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Quranic Reflection]: Women have the right to state their own rights in the marriage WinterHold 34 4801 June 30, 2020 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] Removing misconceptions of my path. Mystic 24 7406 January 8, 2020 at 6:54 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7892 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Beating women in Islam WinterHold 255 39386 April 9, 2019 at 10:38 am
  Refuting the book "Islamic government" (series of lectures of Khomeini) Mystic 17 3075 October 21, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  How to not attribute evil by misconceptions to the Quran. Mystic 7 2161 April 2, 2018 at 10:13 am
  Saudi cleric says women too stupid to drive zebo-the-fat 38 7086 September 30, 2017 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Mystic