Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most stupid misconceptions about Islam
Hi there,

I've been hanging out lately on this forum and ended up reading a lot of threads about Islam. I'm just baffled by the amount of misinformation/grave misunderstandings of critical aspects of Islamic belief, presented - usually with a disgusting tone of self-confidence - by some pretended ex-Muslims and other people. It's impossible of course to give an exhaustive list of all screwed up interpretations of Islamic doctrine. I tried nonetheless to mention the most important ones.

So there you go.

Non-believer/Disbeliever is equivalent to kafir':

This one deservedly tops the list, as I've seen the mistake repeatedly made by lots of Muslims themselves. The most popular english translations of the Qur'an are the real source of misinformation here, breaking down the meaning of the two words will probably make it easier to understand:

Disbelief or nonbelief is simply not believing in something. Another word for agnosticism.

Kufr', an Arabic word originally meaning to cover something, means, on the other hand, to insist on suspending belief while acknoweldging its truth and/or failing to refute evidence presented to support it. Basically, a kafir' is someone who covers the truth.

As you can see, these two words really don't have the same meaning. Despite this, English translations simply translate kufr' into disbelief!

All extremist interpretations of Islam commit this same exact mistake, merely not believing in something becomes strictly equivalent to denying truth knowingly.

Christians and Jews are going to hell according to Islam, by default:

Another laughable assertion one reads frequently, which has a lot to do with the misconception above, when one thinks about it. Someone adhering to christianity or judaism simply doesn't believe in the main tenets of Islam. Usually, christians and jews are simply nonbelievers, not kafir's, as defined above. If a christian is never presented with anything compelling him to believe that Muhammad' PBUH was the final prophet, he falls into the first category, not the second one, which is the one repudiated in the Qur'an.

The Satanic Verses' incident:

Never took place! For God's sake, anyone who isn't well versed in Islamic hadith really should avoid bringing this one up. The authenticity of the narrative recounting this event was refuted by professional Islamic scholars, including al-Albani, a leading figure in Islamic studies during the twentieth century.

Please listen to Islamic scholars and be skeptical when reading some ex-Muslim kid. It's really that simple.

More misconceptions to come very soon. Read
RE: The most stupid misconceptions about Islam
As I’m primarily ignorant of Islam, I’ll take your word for it.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I don't believe any zealot.
I think the most stupid misconception about Islam is that it's a religion of peace.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 14, 2020 at 8:25 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I think the most stupid misconception about Islam is that it's a religion of peace.

Boru

Yes. It is a misconception. It's a religion of both peace and war. Islam is there for human beings, who occasionally go to war, sometimes for valid reasons.

Why would one expect the true religion to be a bunch of cute nebullous imperatives, which fall apart when faced with the horrible reality out there, that is, the amount of evil people are capable of.
Islam is no sillier than any other religion, that is very!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Welcome back, Klorophyll, haven't seen you around for a while.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Read
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I read the Danish translation of the Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie.

To this day, I don't understand what all the fuss was about.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
Any protest of "that isn't REAL _______ "  (fill in blank with any religion) overlooks the simple fact that it is all just made-up nonsense - about as real as a mermaid giving a unicorn a hum job.......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Removing misconceptions of my path. Mystic 24 7178 January 8, 2020 at 6:54 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7729 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  How to not attribute evil by misconceptions to the Quran. Mystic 7 2112 April 2, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Saudi cleric says women too stupid to drive zebo-the-fat 38 6857 September 30, 2017 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Mystic
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5421 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  10 most stupid things about Islam . Marsellus Wallace 9 24532 February 22, 2014 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  What do you think is the most repulsive aspect of Islam. Lemonvariable72 18 5942 December 7, 2013 at 4:40 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Something stupid i wonder about Lemonvariable72 3 1696 September 12, 2013 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: festive1
  Anti-Islam Dutch politician converts to Islam Muslim Scholar 58 33617 May 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Refuting misconceptions:3-Authenticity and preservation of the Quran mo3taz3nbar 33 16197 August 20, 2010 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist