Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 5:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists
(December 29, 2015 at 8:33 pm)Brakeman Wrote: WTF?? That's silly. Of course we make choices. You made a choice to respond to my text and you used your morality to temper your textural response. Morals do not have to be big issue like murder, theft, or adultery. It can be as small as agreeing on forum standards and abiding by forum rules.

principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

A fun thing for me, is that I often have to pretend to believe in things I don't believe in just to engage in conversation.  So I'll waffle back and forth between what I believe and what most believe a bit in here.  Forgive me if my language gets mixed up.  It's not easy to keep track of.

Re: It's silly to suggest we don't choose:  

From your perspective it appears to be a choice.  But that could just be due to a lack of knowledge.  A rock rolls down the hill towards a tree, and we think "It might hit the tree."  With our understanding of the situation, both hitting the tree and not hitting the tree are a possibility.  But reality is that there is no uncertainty. (barring some quantum randomness).  With complete knowledge we would not see the possibility of two outcomes.

You believe I chose to respond to the text.  But we have no evidence that in our universe in that exact scenario I could have done anything else (again barring quantum randomness).  You and I just didn't know whether I would hit the tree or not, so it appears there was a choice made.

Re: Your definition of Morality.

I don't believe right/wrong or good/bad behavior.  Going back to our rock, I don't think you would attribute morality to the path the rock takes rolling down the hill.  You would never call it an evil rock, or a rock that did something morally wrong.  I assume you don't believe rocks can behave morally/immorally.  As someone who doesn't believe in free will, I can no more rationally view a human as evil than I could a rock, or the weather.  

Pretending I believe in free will:  I've chosen to be motivated by practicality.  I don't respond to you like a jerk, because I want the conversation to continue, as I receive positive feedback from talking about this stuff.  Quantifying it in terms of good or bad is trying to make it something it's not.  If you want to murder a bunch of people, that's no different than not wanting to murder a bunch of people.  Actions are just actions.  Some actions oppose my goals practically, but that doesn't make them wrong or immoral.  Instead, I favor laws.  We make practical rules to prevent unwanted behavior.  Our not wanting it doesn't make it wrong or immoral.  Just unwanted due to reality.  I don't want to die.  That is a fact.  So I will look to keep myself from being murdered.  I support laws that prevent murder in the same way I avoid crossing rickety bridges over large ravines.  Both help keep me alive.  I don't think you would call my decision not to cross the rickety bridge a moral decision?

Messages In This Thread
Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by henryp - December 29, 2015 at 12:57 am
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by henryp - December 29, 2015 at 9:46 pm
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by henryp - December 29, 2015 at 10:54 pm
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by henryp - December 29, 2015 at 10:00 pm
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by brewer - December 29, 2015 at 10:05 pm
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by henryp - December 29, 2015 at 11:09 pm
RE: Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists - by Cato - December 30, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3559 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 9678 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  My take on Christianity - Judaism - Islam Mystic 32 6616 November 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 7864 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If you're pro-life, how far do you take that? robvalue 147 13820 August 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  "Jesus take the wheel, 'cause I sure ain't!" Gawdzilla Sama 19 2167 December 20, 2016 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  How to convert Christians to atheists in 30 seconds (ironically, using bible) ProgrammingGodJordan 207 20631 December 9, 2016 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Are humans more insignificant to Atheists or Theists? ReptilianPeon 6 2041 December 11, 2015 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What proof would it take for me to believe in god? Lemonvariable72 37 8190 October 17, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: IATIA
  What Would It Take? Shuffle 90 16471 September 14, 2015 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon