Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 3:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My heart is breaking... I thought Christians are suppose to love "unconditionally"
RE: My heart is breaking... I thought Christians are suppose to love "uncondition...
(December 29, 2015 at 5:20 pm)athrock Wrote:
(December 29, 2015 at 11:28 am)drfuzzy Wrote: There are very few xtians who will partner with an atheist.  The xtian belief system teaches that atheists will burn in hell for all eternity.  If your GF believes that, then she would constantly have to try to bring you back into the xtian fold, to save you from her god's eternal judgment for not believing he exists.  If she rejects you for your lack of belief, then it's not going to work.

My personal experience of xtian "unconditional love" is that it only applies to xtians who believe exactly the same things they do.  Everybody else on the planet can burn.

What you have written is completely untrue.

Christians do not universally believe that atheists will burn in hell for all eternity. Sure, some do, but the two largest groups of Christianity (Catholicism and Orthodoxy) do not teach this, and they combine to form the overwhelming majority.

Yes, xtians are taught to love, but just because they try to love you (and not just one another) it does not mean that they will be willing to marry a non-believer because they hold that the two become one flesh and the scriptures are clear that they should not marry someone to whom they unequally yoked in terms of faith.

It's certainly not untrue in my experience.  I work for a Catholic Church.  They clearly and regularly teach that non-Catholics (that means Protestants as well) will go to hell.  Yes, I know many members of more mainstream churches that don't believe hell exists.  These are the ones that will also tell me that they believe the Bible is mostly allegory.  It is heartening to see those numbers grow.  They still look at me like I have lost my freaking mind if I tell them than I'm an atheist though.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein

Messages In This Thread
RE: My heart is breaking... I thought Christians are suppose to love "uncondition... - by drfuzzy - December 29, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1579 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I thought your god was keeping you safe rado84 331 29557 April 25, 2019 at 1:07 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7941 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Paul's Writings Underpin Western Thought SteveII 232 17584 August 6, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My current religious teacher isn't as good as I thought Der/die AtheistIn 10 2018 November 16, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  You Put Absolutely NO Thought Into This Astonished 45 10031 August 28, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? Angrboda 144 23573 June 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31459 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  This Is More Complicated Than I Thought. Minimalist 1 1283 May 19, 2016 at 8:55 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Sad thought about Jesus. TrueChristian 130 22246 December 25, 2015 at 12:59 am
Last Post: popsthebuilder