Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 6:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not A Poll: Does Motivation Affect Morality?
RE: Not A Poll: Does Motivation Affect Morality?
(May 8, 2016 at 4:49 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 8, 2016 at 3:55 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: I see no problem reconciling the two, you're the one questioning it, so maybe you should come up with a reason why I couldn't.

See the post immediately above.

Boru

The side of the road to drive on is moral because it's enforced by an authority for your own safety. Society functions because of an order imposed on it, a moral order that tells you how to behave yourself. I don't see the point in pretending like it doesn't exist or that it's evil. It's highly unlikely that a moral system arising out of a real, functioning democratic society would legally condone child rape. That would have to mean the majority of people would have to wish to become child molesters, wouldn't care for their children or simply remain passive in face of it all. Even if that did happen, it would be so detrimental as to demolish our future. You can't exactly keep the world spinning if virtually all future adults are traumatised and worse. And that is why it wouldn't be moral. It would be bad both for the individual and for the group. That's the opposite of a moral outcome.

Objective morality is what is best for people. And I know that's an open question, but it's not an impossible one. We're constantly making progress, everyone knows this, you'd have me believe we don't and never have. Somehow the world is completely amoral and we just happen to be living the comfortable lives we are because of a series of fortunate coincidences. Can you see how completely absurd such a view is?

How about you stop being silly and arguing for argument's sake, 'cause I'm pretty tired of it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Not A Poll: Does Motivation Affect Morality? - by Excited Penguin - May 8, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2086 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Science Poll! Istvan 9 1357 September 25, 2022 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Science Poll! Istvan 24 1881 March 23, 2022 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10740 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 39284 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1366 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8373 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3602 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4517 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  God does not determine right and wrong Alexmahone 134 15478 February 12, 2018 at 7:14 pm