Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 7:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried?
RE: Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried?
(September 3, 2016 at 5:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote: First ask yourself why these two authors came up with such radically different stories for the birth of their godboy?  Why... it's almost as if they made the whole thing up! 

I agree that they made up the nativity stories. I'm hoping most historians do as well? (If they don't, then fuck historicity.)

Quote:Although matty also claims that jesus will be called a Nazorean from OT prophecy....except there does not seem to be any such prophecy that anyone can find.  There is speculation that the term is derived from netzer meaning "branch" and referring to a messianic concept.  When you start getting into this Greek-Aramaic translation shit and then insist that it can be reliably rendered into English you are automatically moving on to shaky ground.

I heard there was a minority view among scholars that Matthew wasn't even Jewish. He was a Greek christian working with the Septuagint, who knew nothing at all about Jewish theology. I don't know how credible that is, but it's no wonder that his attempts to shoehorn Jesus into the portrait of the Jewish messiah were not well received by Jews.

Quote:Now, we do not get these named gospels until very late in the 2d century.  The earliest canon of xtian writings was put out by the heretic Marcion c 140 AD.  It included something called "the Gospel of the Lord" which turns out to be the gospel later known as "luke" without the first two chapters.  In fact Marcion's original work claims that jesus descended (from heaven) into Capernaum in the 15th year of Tiberius' reign ( 29AD).

If Marcion's writings predate Luke, then why do historians think he borrowed from Luke? (Honest question. I'm not too familiar with this.)

Quote:http://gnosis.org/library/marcion/Gospel1.html

Feel free to look it over.

Later on when xtian writers rehabilitated the gospel of the lord they attached two chapters which included all the census/virgin birth/ bullshit.  But the earliest version of the gospel that we know about (and we are told about it from xtian writers themselves like Tertullian and Irenaeus) does not have any of that nonsense as part of it.

I read it. I think I would agree with you that if Marcion's gospel predates Luke, then mythicism is pretty plausible.
A Gemma is forever.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? - by Gemini - September 3, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2193 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1070 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Jesus wants passionate christians purplepurpose 3 667 April 1, 2023 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5401 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6329 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 0 504 August 31, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Firefighter01
Video The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work Mental Outlaw 1346 254636 July 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Why I hate Right Wing Christians bussta33 31 6335 April 16, 2016 at 5:28 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Historian explains why Jesus ''mythers'' aren't taken seriously by most Historians TheMessiah 456 58029 July 1, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs? Hezekiah 50 9334 October 5, 2014 at 2:47 am
Last Post: robvalue