Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I hate Right Wing Christians
Why I hate Right Wing Christians
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjMaykovgo

So, they apparently believe in faith healing, supported slavery, and deny global warming.  Nice video to watch, gives a little insight on the absurdities of the right wing.

Thoughts?
RE: Why I hate Right Wing Christians
The video is pretty scattershot in its approach (is this about Republicans or conservative Christians?) and, despite the disclaimer that scrolls up the screen at the beginning, the narrator nevertheless paints with much too broad a brush.

Not all Republicans are climate science deniers, and there is a growing sense among some clergy, including Evangelicals, that climate change is something that Christians -- as stewards -- need to address head-on. Yes, the deniers are preponderant in the GOP, but I suspect that many of the Republican public figures (as opposed to dipshit Joe Six Pack) who spout such nonsense do so, not so much out of real conviction, but out of a need to keep the corporate campaign contributions rolling in. That may make them scumbags. It doesn't necessarily make them idiots.

Yes, there are nuts who believe in faith healing, but most of them also go to the doctor when the shit hits the fan (you know, just in case their faith really isn't as large as a mustard seed). The out-and-out laying-on-of-hands, Holy Spirit babblers who rely on prayer alone is undoubtedly a small minority of Christians.

And historically, the Republicans were among the good guys on the issue of slavery and civil rights for black Americans. The southern reactionary Christians who supported slavery and, later, Jim Crow were overwhelmingly Democrats. The reason you see representatives of that group in the GOP today is because of the party's Southern Strategy, initiated by Nixon and brought home by Reagan. That's why you'll still hear such people referred to today as "Reagan Democrats".

Don't get me wrong. I have little use for either contemporary GOP or for conservative Christians, but groups can be opposed without resorting to caricatures or broad-brushing them. There's plenty to criticize about each group, just as there is plenty to criticize about Democrats and the PC liberal fringe.
Quote:Not all Republicans are climate science deniers,

No...but it seems as if all climate science deniers are republicunts.

Quote:Big Oil-backed group promotes Sarah Palin and Bill Nye as part of climate change panel

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/big-oil-...nge-panel/
Sarah, "The Dumbest Twat in 'Merika" is already on board but Bill Nye?  Unknown at this time if he is willing to address this charade.

Quote:Nye has not released a comment regarding his prospective involvement.
I do not share the same disdain for the right wing that many atheists seem to have. Yes, they say and do a lot of stupid things. BUT when it comes to some of the most important issues, they do happen to fall on the right side. For instance, free speech. Last time I checked, it was liberal college students who were signing mock petitions to repeal the 1st amendment.
Meandering Atheist: Several friends on a journey of romance and adventure, to talk about moderately interesting topics.
(April 11, 2016 at 9:32 pm)Meandering Atheist -J- Wrote: I do not share the same disdain for the right wing that many atheists seem to have. Yes, they say and do a lot of stupid things. BUT when it comes to some of the most important issues, they do happen to fall on the right side. For instance, free speech. Last time I checked, it was liberal college students who were signing mock petitions to repeal the 1st amendment.

Last time I checked it was the conservative wing of the court that said "money = speech" and "corporations are people" if that's the right side...
"I'm thick." - Me
(April 11, 2016 at 9:35 pm)Goosebump Wrote: Last time I checked it was the conservative wing of the court that said "money = speech" and "corporations are people" if that's the right side...

Yes, every side sucks. My point is that there is good and bad in both camps.
Meandering Atheist: Several friends on a journey of romance and adventure, to talk about moderately interesting topics.
(April 11, 2016 at 9:39 pm)Meandering Atheist -J- Wrote:
(April 11, 2016 at 9:35 pm)Goosebump Wrote: Last time I checked it was the conservative wing of the court that said "money = speech" and "corporations are people" if that's the right side...

Yes, every side sucks. My point is that there is good and bad in both camps.

I'd wager there are degrees. 

I don't see how a supreme court decision that changes the course of US politics as we know it is equivalent to some college kids running around a false petition to repeal the first amendment.

If your saying that the right is better about the 1st amendment, then you are woefully failing to show it.
"I'm thick." - Me
I'm a proud liberal, but this new generation of ultra-PC idiots makes me want to wring some necks with this "safe spaces" and "trigger words" and "cultural appropriation" bullshit. (ETA: Good article to read on the subject... http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/coll...sor-afraid)

That said, their hearts (if not their minds) are in the right place. They're trying to do good. I'm not sure the same can be said for those who actively participate in lies about climate science (not to mention evolutionary biology), who try to sneak religious laws against gays and trans people onto the books again by calling it "religious freedom", who seek to dismantle protections against pollution by profit-seeking corporations, who set "poverty trap" legislation and then blame the very poor people who get stuck in them, who start wars for the purpose of keeping American military industries in the black, and who try to fool as many people as possible into supporting their selfish actions via repetitious propaganda on TV and radio.

I'd take an idiotic/annoying liberal civilization over a threat-to-my-health-and-safety conservative one, any day of the week.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

I'm a republican. Just saying.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 11, 2016 at 9:55 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: I'd take an idiotic/annoying liberal civilization over a threat-to-my-health-and-safety conservative one, any day of the week.

I'm conflicted. I can envision a world where I'm a 120 year old man thanks to the super social programs enacted and I get fined out of my house/home for saying what's on my ancient, grew up in the 90's, addled mind because of politically correct programs enacted. If it hasn't happened earlier.
"I'm thick." - Me

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 136 5596 February 12, 2024 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2099 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do you hate God? johndoe122931 100 7297 June 3, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Statistics, the perfect weapon to justify hate? Ferrocyanide 12 1553 December 21, 2020 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Honestly, I hate the thought of god, zeus and jesus Apex1050 22 2621 July 10, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5355 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6191 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Atheist hate having to constantly repeat this.... Brian37 33 6741 October 16, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  I Hate Presup Amarok 4 2149 February 10, 2017 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 278 51391 January 19, 2017 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Little Rik