Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 5:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we build AI without losing control over it? | Sam Harris
RE: Can we build AI without losing control over it? | Sam Harris
Meh, it;s simpler than all that, it;s imagining that tomorrows problem, because it won;t come until tommorrow, is not a problem.  Harris address this spcifically, as well...with the bit about recieving a translation from aliens that reads.  We are coming to your planet in 50 years, get ready.  And asking whether we just sit there counting the months until mothership arrives..or do we do some work.  Does this change if the message reads 500 years, 5000?  He proposes that we'd work with a sense of urgency and sober assessment that he doesn't see from ai researchers, and that the things they say to reassure us...parroted almost word for word even in this thread - as though the man could read minds and foretell the future..are less than reassuring.

Again, he didn;t rely on that premise. He used it, but also explaind why it wasn't critical to his argument. Now, to be blunt, I don;t afford you any more credibility than you would deny him. You don't have a crystal ball, you don't know what it take to make general ai (or even a human intellect...no one does), you don't know if it will take even -50- years. You don't, and pretending that you do is, again, a failure of reason already addressed by Harris, calling it for the non-sequitur it is..not a failure of expertise in field.

This, you've consistently ignored.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we build AI without losing control over it? | Sam Harris - by The Grand Nudger - November 4, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pastors losing faith (Vice) Fake Messiah 1 236 January 14, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Sam Harris podcast, blog, etc. Fake Messiah 2 993 September 30, 2015 at 3:06 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Do you want to build a snowman? Foxaèr 9 1720 December 26, 2014 at 4:15 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sam Harris at the Global Atheist Convention Justtristo 22 10943 August 10, 2012 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Universe Without Design Xerxes 0 1189 May 4, 2012 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Xerxes
  Doing Good...Without God Forsaken 0 745 April 10, 2012 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Forsaken
  The End of Faith by Sam Harris Justtristo 1 1578 May 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Glenn Beck facing sack after losing over a million viewers downbeatplumb 12 5064 March 9, 2011 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Ubermensch
Rainbow Doctors without borders charity event and auction. leo-rcc 2 2004 September 13, 2010 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions Edwardo Piet 10 3682 July 22, 2010 at 3:14 am
Last Post: leo-rcc