Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 12:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
(December 1, 2016 at 4:03 pm)Ignorant Wrote: Or maybe it just means they need to look into some other method of biblical interpretation besides Fundamentalism?

I cannot see any valid interpretation of that passage, or any other instruction regarding women in the bible for that matter, that isn' "women, know your place!"
(December 1, 2016 at 6:28 pm)Luckie Wrote:
(November 30, 2016 at 5:07 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:

Then I'd say that sounds like a cultural thing more than any sort of official Church teaching. If you are saying Catholic theology teaches that women are objects, the burden is on you to show the Catechism verse that states such. 

Sorry, I'mnot a Catholic so I dont know what a 'Catechism verse' is. Does this count? It's from God's own mouth.

Quote:Deuteronomy 21:10-14 NAB)

"When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive's garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her, and you shall be her husband and she shall be your wife. However, if later on you lose your liking for her, you shall give her her freedom, if she wishes it; but you shall not sell her or enslave her, since she was married to you under compulsion.

Sure it's in the old testament, the less regarded part of the bible, but Jesus said not a letter of OT law shall be overturned until the end of times (see my signature for reference).

Quote:Your comment was that women's senior most position in the Church is a flower arranger. Yes, that comment is 100% false. 

Then what is actually the ceiling for women within the Catholic church?

Quote:But anyway, as far as reproductive rights go - our teaching on abortion is based on our teaching concerning human dignity and the belief that it is immoral to take away innocent human life. It is not based on a belief that women are objects. Ironically enough, it is a fundamental belief that every human being has inherent and equal dignity, regardless of anything. Including age and gender.  

That may be the case for you and your Creed now. However, were you born thousands of years ago, things would be totally different under the same god that you worship now. 

What it says is so disgusting I feel like it needs hide quotes Tongue

Quote:Also ironically enough, my aunt's pro life stance, which stemmed from her Catholicism, is what saved my sister when she was in my teenage mom's womb. Because SHE, a woman, was/is not an object or a "thing." But a human being who deserves to stay alive.
Thats funny my mom was forced into an abortion because of her dogmatic parents' beliefs. In any case, I'm an atheist and I'm anti abortion as well. *high fives Catholic Lady

Regarding women's authority in the church the highest they can go is head of an order of nuns, a position that has to defer to ordained priests. Hence the rwason why most nuns organisations are so angry.

Regarding abortion, the ban only came in in the 1860s (at the same time as papal infallibility). Prior to that it was allowed to either 40 days or 13 weeks depending on which date then current teaching thought ensoulment happened.

Cathechism is the rcc's attempt to imbue papal fiat with the same authority as the bible. Quite a lot of it is "yes the bible says x, while the pope says y. But it's ok as the pope speaks with god's voice and is thus never wrong".
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? - by GUBU - December 2, 2016 at 7:40 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1881 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7142 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2134 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1043 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3279 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5282 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2876 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2000 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 8242 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13641 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie