Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school
Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school
Hello, I am new to the forum and just wanted some opinions on my choice to see whether I am doing the right thing or not, so....

My wife and I are sending our daughter to a Catholic school although I am an Athiest. Why you might ask? well...

First and foremost it is because we believe she will get a better education (by far!) going to this school than to any others in our local area. The school we are sending her to is one of the best schools not only in the city but the country! The alternate schools are poor in comparison.

My wife went to this same school and I have no doubt that if I would of gone to this school I would of got better grades. She is a Catholic but is undecided on her belief (she doesn't feel that strong about it) however she does feel very strong about our daughters education! The school I went to was terrible and I don't wish to send my daughter there.

I do not believe the school will brain wash my daughter or effect her in a negative way, my only real question is this...

Am I being a hypocrite sending her there?? Or am I doing the right thing by trying to get her the best education I can??

Some opinions would be greatly appreciated
RE: Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school
As long as you understand that they will try to indoctrinate her it really is your decision.

For now.

http://educationnext.org/can-catholic-schools-be-saved/

Quote:Can Catholic Schools Be Saved?

Lacking nuns and often students, a shrinking system looks for answers
How old is your daughter? If she is young enough to be impressionable and the school requires catholic religious classes you might want to monitor what she is picking up and have your (your wifes) own personal discussions with her.

Short answer, nope, not a hypocrite. IRL I have to interact with/do business with religious people (and occasionally institutions) all of the time. They are providing a service, that is all. Hopefully she'll take all of the religious woo in stride. Most of us here had some kind of an attempt at religious indoctrination and could see the fantasy for what it is. If it becomes an issue with your daughter you can address it when it comes up.

Edit: Oops, sorry. Welcome!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome!

If it's really just that, F*** principles, it's not your or your kids fault that the available public schools suck. It's not like all members of the catholic church believe in God either Smile Just have a close look at what they are doing there religion wise.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I encountered an actual Mormon hired as an instructor at a parochial school not that many years ago. I'm pretty sure they'd never hire an atheist, but finding out they would hire a Mormon really surprised me.

I gather the clincher in her job interview was she would work cheap.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Hello, welcome to the forum Smile

No, I don't think you're being a hypocrite. Reality requires compromise, and if it's the only school which is any good I can totally understand it.

I suspect they will try to indoctrinate, at least subliminally and through immersion. It may not be explicit, but it will be there. They're not going to be presenting a balanced, critical examination of catholicism. Put it that way! If you think your daughter is mentally strong enough not to cave in, then it should be fine. Indoctrination tends to primarily take place in the home anyhow.

Of course, she may decide to become a catholic, but that's always a possibility. Personally, you could have sent me to the most religious school you liked and it would have bounced right off me. I'd have taken the education part and ignored the rest.

The other way to look at it is that sooner or later your daughter will be exposed to religion anyway, you can't protect her from getting "contaminated". So as long as they're not in her face about it and pressuring her, and she's old enough not to get passively brainwashed, it sounds cool to me.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 11, 2016 at 2:56 am)robvalue Wrote: Hello, welcome to the forum Smile

No, I don't think you're being a hypocrite. Reality requires compromise, and if it's the only school which is any good I can totally understand it.

I suspect they will try to indoctrinate, at least subliminally and through immersion. It may not be explicit, but it will be there. They're not going to be presenting a balanced, critical examination of catholicism. Put it that way! If you think your daughter is mentally strong enough not to cave in, then it should be fine. Indoctrination tends to primarily take place in the home anyhow.

Of course, she may decide to become a catholic, but that's always a possibility. Personally, you could have sent me to the most religious school you liked and it would have bounced right off me. I'd have taken the education part and ignored the rest.

The other way to look at it is that sooner or later your daughter will be exposed to religion anyway, you can't protect her from getting "contaminated". So as long as they're not in her face about it and pressuring her, and she's old enough not to get passively brainwashed, it sounds cool to me.

All of this, but...

It's not so much the school or the teachers/administration that I'd be worried about, but the peer pressure. Kids will follow where other kids lead far more readily than they will follow the teachers...
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Good point.

Would she get bullied for not caving? If it's a good school hopefully they'd be in top of that crap, but kids can be really mean and sneaky.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I've dated catholic school girls. They are not all of the prudish and pious variety once you get to know them Tongue Three women in my family went to catholic girl's school. They are now 2/3 atheist at least.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I was forced to attend a Catholic school for three years. During that time, it was required that we attend confession EVERY Wednesday. Honestly, I don't know what a fourth grader has done so horribly wrong that weekly confession is required, but there it is. I was also required to take religion classes as part of my studies. Four of my teachers were nuns. The principal was a nun.

I don't know how much Catholic school education has changed in thirty some odd years, but when I went, there was a lot of influence from the church as well as certain requirements to be met in order to continue attending. First communion classes were a requirement if you never had communion before. In the catholic church, it is required that you have first communion in order to partake in communion at church. Since confession and church were required on Wednesdays, participating in communion was part of that. Prior to or during 8th grade there was also the matter of confirmation classes. Another religious ritual.

If you're okay with all of that, then you're doing the right thing. If not, then perhaps reevaluating would be a better idea.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1853 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1185 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Suck it, Your an Athiest. Goosebump 5 927 February 19, 2022 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Sending a book back in time Rahn127 23 2501 November 14, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11355 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If your child cries it means Satan is in him Ruckus123 8 1916 May 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Athiest with children? Jesus Cristo 69 12902 October 12, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92749 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  What should I do if I'm being forced to go to a Christian School? Socratic Meth Head 51 11624 June 10, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: abaris
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 9000 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: GUBU