Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 8:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Without the Shedding of Blood There is No Remission of Sin
RE: Without the Shedding of Blood There is No Remission of Sin
(May 13, 2017 at 11:00 pm)Grandizer Wrote: How then does one identify the fruits of salvation as opposed to just good works? I sort of remember Jesus saying in the Gospels that you shall know them by their fruits.

What he is saying that you will be able to separate the ones who just claim to have faith from the ones who really do have faith by their works.  If someone claims to faith, but has no good works then they are lying.

(May 14, 2017 at 9:31 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: Tell Christians to read those passages. I should not have to read the Bible to see how Christians act. I read their lives and tell it like it is.

Then don't make statements about your interpretation of christian doctrine contained in the bible if you don't want to read what's there.

Quote:Then you totally disagree with Paul.
Romans 4:5 Wrote:But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness.

Now you decide to read the bible when you think it backs up what you say.  Paul is speaking the truth in that our works can't save us.  We are only saved by our faith in Christ.  Paul is making the distinction between what saves us and what doesn't.  James is saying that if we have faith, we will do good works because faith produces good works.  He's not saying that the works are what save us.  It's still our faith that makes us righteous.  

Romans 6:15-16New Living Translation (NLT)

15 Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law, does that mean we can go on sinning? Of course not! 16 Don’t you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey? You can be a slave to sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living.

Quote:Yes, I've been told to read Paul in light of James. All that means in practice is ignore Paul. Read the part about having faith and ignore the part about without works.

Yes.  To understand the message of the bible you must take it as a whole.  You shouldn't ignore any passages, including James.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Without the Shedding of Blood There is No Remission of Sin - by Lek - May 14, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sin and death LinuxGal 35 2387 December 11, 2023 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44772 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  the nature of sin Drich 137 18925 August 11, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3145 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Sin and the Blame Game LadyForCamus 115 30335 June 20, 2017 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5601 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2807 January 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  hate the sin, love the sinner mcolafson 101 14395 September 5, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Little children who died without Baptism go to eternal Hell?! Jehanne 34 6192 February 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Sin & Forgiveness miaharun 119 15592 November 16, 2015 at 4:04 am
Last Post: robvalue