Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(June 24, 2017 at 12:21 am)Little Henry Wrote: It seems when we make moral claims, ie, rape is wrong, murder is wrong, we are saying something with an intent for that statement to be fact. We are not just expressing preferences/likes/desires, but trying to say something that is fact.
. . . . .
But when we talk about morality, we use the words right and wrong with an intent for it to be FACT.

Our intentions in talking about something can be mistaken. When people believed the earth was flat, they talked as if the world were flat. Their intention was irrelevant to the fact. Beyond that, all you've basically done is assert. You know what would show that morality is objective? An explanation of morality that can be demonstrated to be correct. That is how we show that something is objective. Do you have an explanation of morality that can be demonstrated to be correct? I see you making a lot of assertions, but haven't seen anything like an explanation of how morals work. Until you can do that, all you've got is an ipse dixit argument.

In your title you tentatively assert that morality being objective is a properly basic belief. I take that to mean you are employing reformed epistemology as a foundation for your beliefs. I reject reformed epistemology. Any framework that asserts that something is true until it can be shown false is nothing but a wholesale falsehood. In traditional foundationalism, a belief is basic if it is either self-evident or it is incorrigible. The belief that morality is objective is neither of these things.

For what it's worth, I'm not a subjectivist in the sense that you mean because I believe the foundation of our morals lies in evolution, not God. But it does point out an important question about morality. Does our metaphysics not alter what we view as moral and immoral. A middle eastern woman is killed because of being an abomination to God. To those who don't believe in God, this act itself is an abomination. Can we ever have objective facts about metaphysics?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by Angrboda - June 24, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 846 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6443 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5575 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81415 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36963 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5231 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22152 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet