Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(June 27, 2017 at 12:40 am)Khemikal Wrote: I get it, you're angry.   Wink

If you'd like to start over from the very beginning on what makes a secular objective morality objective, we can do so.  

What are we talking about, when we talk about morality.  You and I refer to harm.  The religious, in a hilariously twisted way, refer to harm.  Our empathy...refers to harm.  In fact, you can't go anywhere in the moral landscape and not hear about harm, harm, harm.  Now.  I didn't make it that way.  I didn't choose for my empathy to respond to harm.  I didn't choose for those religious people, or their religious beliefs, to refer to harm.  It's not just my opinion that you and I refer to harm, that the religious refer to harm, that our empathy responds to harm.  The subject of morality, across people with moral disagreements and disparate moral foundations appears to be referant to harm.  Our biology, itself, appears to be referent to harm. 

The subject of morality, or at least one of them, is harm.  Harm is what we are talking about when we try to decide if something is bad. 

Would this, in -your- opinion, qualify as an objective fact?

If we disregard god-dick-worship, yes. But that requires accepting that caveat (and I hate lying or being a hypocrite about things so that has to be asterisked somewhere). Harm and well-being are the only reasonable metrics for judging actions and I would agree that something like moral relativism is bunk (for both subjective and objective reasons) and that basing a moral system on anything that exceeds the empirical realm (well-being in the afterlife being a concern, for instance) is also invalid because while you can objectively define this or that (homophobia, etc.), it's based on spurious, non-empirical concepts. Something about the language that I have to use here, however, still manages to make me feel uncomfortable about using 'objective' as the term here. Having to insert words like 'reasonable' and 'judging' into the mix like I just did there, just reek of the opposite of what you imagine when you think of objective since you tend to associate it with ignoring what people's opinions are about it. Like, I get why it's necessary to word it that way, there's just no way around it, I just think it can be done without using the word 'objective' for anything other than the 'what causes harm or well-being' part to minimize that off-putting effect.

If you limit this to human beings only, that helps maintain a better balance with objective facts to support what actions promote well-being and minimize harm. Extending this to other creatures dips heavily into subjective territory even more so, so we'll leave that. Things like determining how severe a punishment should be (or whether or not it's even a good way of going about things) among other things are largely subjective as well even if supported by objective facts. So subjectivity plays an immense role in the process as well. Is there no way to either balance out what we call secular objective morality without making it sound loaded? I don't even think the primary name being objective is the right approach anyway because no one's going to go into it understanding intrinsically what you meant by it without having to hear your explanation of it. Secular morality alone should be sufficient, and would logically imply both objective and subjective criteria for determining the contents thereof. Naming it something that seems needlessly exclusionary is just another one of those things that feels wrong and makes me uncomfortable just accepting it as is. But it's just a name and I can call it whatever the hell I like as long as the principles remain the same.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by Astonished - June 27, 2017 at 12:58 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6434 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5572 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81370 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36963 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5224 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22143 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet