Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
Conversation 1

Person A and person B sit at a cafe.

Person A says he watched the movie Taken 1 and Taken 2 last night. Person A says he thinks Taken 1 is better than Taken 2.

Person B disagrees and say Taken 2 is better than Taken 1.

Who is right or wrong? Is Taken 1 better than Taken 2 or is Taken 2 better than Taken 1?

Don't answer this question yet.

Conversation 2

Person A orders a plate of olives and Person B orders a plate of grapes. They both start eating
Person A says, olives are so nice, they taste better than grapes. Grapes are disgusting

Person B then says, olives are disgusting, grapes taste so much better than olives.

Who is right/wrong? Do olives taste better than grapes? Or are olives better tasting than grapes?

Don't answer yet.

Conversation C

While Person A and Person B are sitting down talking, one of Justin Bieber's songs come on.

Person A says, oh i love this song, it is so nice, so good.

Person B says, Justin Bieber's songs are horrible. I cant stand them.

Who is right or wrong? Are Justin Bieber's songs horrible or nice?

Don't answer this yet.

Conversation 4

Both Person A and B look out the window and they see a billboard and they see a picture Jessica Alba and Lucy Liu.

Person A says, Jessica Alba is so good looking. She is better looking than Lucy Liu.

Person B says, I disagree, Lucy Liu is better looking than Jessica Alba.

Who is right/wrong? Is Jessica Alba better looking than Lucy Liu or is Lucy Liu better looking than Jessica Alba?

Dont answer this yet.

Conversation 5

Person A orders a Jack Daniels and coke. Person B orders a beer.

Person A say JD and coke tastes so good, Beer is disgusting. JD and coke tastes better than beer.

Person B says, no Beer tastes better than JD and coke.

Who is right/wrong? Does JD and coke taste better than Beer or is beer taste better than JD and coke.

Dont answer this yet..

Conversation 6

Person A says baseball is such a great sport. It provides so much entertainment and they really enjoy watching it. Person A says, the game is so much better than the game of golf.

Person B says, Golf is so much more enjoyable to watch than baseball.

Who is right/wrong? Is Golf a more enjoyable sport than baseball? Or is baseball a more enjoyable sport better than golf?

Conversation 7

Person A says the earth rotates around the sun. Person B says no it does not , the sun rotates around the earth.

Who is right/wrong?

Conversation 8

Person A says the earth is flat. Person B says no its not. The earth is spherical in shape.

Who is right/wrong?

Ok. I am going to talk about this 1 more time. I dont think it can get more simpler than this.

I hope it is obvious to everyone, conversations 1-6, person A and person B are talking about things that are deemed SUBJECTIVE. Taste in food, drinks, music, looks, sport and movies.

Conversations 7 and 8, person A and person B are both talking about something that is OBJECTIVE.

Lets start off with conversations 7 and 8.

Conversation 7. Who is right or wrong? Person A is right. Is person A right because of your personal opinion? Preference or desire? No. It has nothing to do with your personal preference/desire or opinion. The earth actually rotates AROUND the sun. This is a FACT. It is deemed OBJECTIVE.
It has nothing to do with what anyone on earth thinks about the sun or the earth.
Person A is right and person is wrong. We can ONLY deem them to be right or wrong because we are comparing there statements to a FACT. The FACT is what deciphers between peoples statements and therefore makes them right or wrong.
I dont know how much more simpler i can state this. It is plain logic.
Can person A and person B BOTH be right? NO. They cannot be because either the sun rotates around the earth or the earth rotates around the sun.
If this question was asked in an exam, Person A would get a tick and Person B would get a cross.

Conversation 8.

Lets keep this simple. Who is right or wrong? Person A or B? It is a fact that the earth is spherical in shape. Person B is right. Person A is wrong.
Is person A wrong and person B right because of the way you feel? Prefer? Desire?
NO. It has nothing to do with what anyone of us feel, prefer or desire.
This is what we mean when we say OBJECTIVE. Like in conversation 7. It has NOTHING to do with what anyone of you think. The earth is still spherical even if everyone believed it to be flat, or if no one ever existed.This is what we mean by fact.
BECAUSE IT IS A FACT, IT IS THE ONLY REASON WHY WE CAN SAY PERSON A IS RIGHT OR WRONG.
We can compare person A and Person B comments AGAINST the fact and deem one to be right and wrong.
If this question was asked in an exam, Person B would get a tick and Person A would get a cross.

Now compare conversations 7 and 8 where Person A and B are talking about something OBJECTIVE with conversations 1 through to 6..
Conversations 1-6 are SUBJECTIVE.

In conversation 1, who is right or wrong.
Is Taken 1 a better movie than Taken 2 or Taken 2 better than Taken 1?
I would HOPE by now you would RECOGNIZE that NEITHER is right or wrong. Why?
Because UNLIKE in conversations 6 and 7, there is NOTHING to compare to there statements AGAINST. It is not a fact that Taken 1 or 2 is better or worse than the other. If there is no fact to compare it against therefore NEITHER IS RIGHT OR WRONG.
This is WHY IT IS CALLED subjective in its nature. At best, Person A can say, I PREFER Taken 1 over Taken 2. That is what i like more. In my opinion, it is better.
But it is NOT a fact that Taken 1 is a better movie than Taken 2.
If this question was asked in an exam, who would get a tick or a cross? NEITHER one would get a tick or a cross.
Isnt this plain obvious?

Now use this LOGIC to the other conversations, 2-6 and the CONCLUSIONS would be the same. There is NO RIGHT OR WRONG. You are jut EXPRESSING YOUR PREFERENCE/DESIRE.
It is not a fact that grapes itself taste better than olives, or JD and coke taste better than beer or Jessica Alba is better looking than Lucy Liu or Baseball is a better game than golf or Justin Biebers music is good or bad.

I hope you can all see the NATURE of items that are objective and items that are subjective and the conclusions of these?

All items that are subjective are NEITHER right or wrong.

All items that are objective are EITHER right or wrong.

You cannot DEEM something to be subjective then say your opinion about is right. That is using the words right and wrong in a MISLEADING way, a NAIVE way.

Now, is the nature of morality in conversations 1 through to 6 or is it classed in conversations 7-8?

Notice in conversations 7 and 8 that BOTH parties will argue and one of them trying to prove they are right? This is because they are arguing over something that is OBJECTIVE.
At the end, 1 will be right and the other will be wrong.

Notice in conversations 1-6 the parties will NOT argue who is right or wrong? They are just expressing their preferences. This is because neither of them are right or wrong.
See the difference.

If you want to label something subjective, then say it is right or wrong, this is an incoherent statement, because something ITSELF cannot be BOTH right and wrong at the same time. It violates the law of non contradiction.

Is it a FACT that harming someone is wrong? As in 1+1=3 is wrong or if someone says the sun rotates around the earth?

Or is it just an expression of preference/desire like when someone says they prefer grapes over olives? Baseball over golf?

You people are smarter than this. I can sense that you really KNOW certain moral acts are WRONG like child rape. You dont have to think to think about this. It is a proper basic belief.
I believe that you know moral facts like moral right and wrong DO EXIST, but you realise the consequence of admitting it because of what it would do to your wider belief system.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by Little Henry - June 28, 2017 at 5:53 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6425 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8899 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5563 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81351 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36959 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5218 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22131 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet